ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do you guys have any experience with routers? because i have some questions

(1/7) > >>

gexecuter:
So recently my sisters got a notebook as a christmas gift and we decided it was better if we had WIFI in our house so that they could connect to the internet using the notebook. Anyway my ISP installed a zyxel router and ever since then i have been having some problems. sometimes i can't surf at all because i get redirected to 192.168.1.1/zCfgTryAgain.html and i see the following message :

"object not found

The requested URL '/zCfgTryAgain.html' was not found on the RomPager Advanced server."

Turning the router on and off seems to fix it tough but it's very annoying. Another thing is that i am worried that someone might leech off my bandwidth even tough it's password protected and i have been thinking how to prevent that, any software i can use to detect thiefs?. Also I know that the 192.168.1.1 address is for router configuration but it's password protected so i can't access it, do i even need to access the router configuration?.

Anyway help would be apreciated since you guys seem pretty knowledable.

4wd:
So recently my sisters got a notebook as a christmas gift and we decided it was better if we had WIFI in our house so that they could connect to the internet using the notebook. Anyway my ISP installed a zyxel router and ever since then i have been having some problems. sometimes i can't surf at all because i get redirected to 192.168.1.1/zCfgTryAgain.html and i see the following message :

"object not found

The requested URL '/zCfgTryAgain.html' was not found on the RomPager Advanced server."

Turning the router on and off seems to fix it tough but it's very annoying. Another thing is that i am worried that someone might leech off my bandwidth even tough it's password protected and i have been thinking how to prevent that, any software i can use to detect thiefs?. Also I know that the 192.168.1.1 address is for router configuration but it's password protected so i can't access it, do i even need to access the router configuration?.

-gexecuter (January 09, 2009, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've been running a Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61 for more than 2 years and it's been very reliable apart from 2 or 3 small problems.

The only protection I use for the WiFi is 128bit WEP, MAC filtering and no SSID broadcast

IIRC, the default password for Zyxels is: 1234

I can probably help you with the configuration of it, what model are you running ?

Ehtyar:
The past few years I've had two NetGear products. The first was a WGR614 which was fine, but its range was too limited for my sister to use wireless in her bedroom, so now we have a WPN824v2. Anyway, now that you know my life story :P both products have been extremely stable (the dlink we had prior to the WGR crashed weekly) and I would most definately purchase a netgear product again.

Netgear are generally considered to be at the economical end of the higher quality routers. If you wanted something really powerful, you probably go for a Linksys or a CISCO, but you'll pay a lot more for those.

Experience with routers varies significantly. You'll find it difficult to pinpoint a brand that has good reviews across the board. If you're going to purchase a new unit I would suggest choosing something that it's brand new to the market and that has solid reviews.

Ehtyar.

gexecuter:

"object not found

-gexecuter (January 09, 2009, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've been running a Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61 for more than 2 years and it's been very reliable apart from 2 or 3 small problems.

The only protection I use for the WiFi is 128bit WEP, MAC filtering and no SSID broadcast

IIRC, the default password for Zyxels is: 1234

I can probably help you with the configuration of it, what model are you running ?
-4wd (January 09, 2009, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

The model that i have looking at the bottom of the router is Zyxel P-660HW-T1 V2. The password that you provided didn't work, maybe my ISP changed it? if i reset the router i should be able to configure it because the password would be cleared right?

Darwin:
While I am running MAC filtering on my DLink WB-1310 router, it is a waste of time, according to the pundits. If your hardware supports it, you should be running WPA-2 encryption. Can't help you with network access monitoring software, but there is probably some rudimentary functionality for this built into the router browser interface. On D-Link, the default password is nothing - ie, you leave the field blank. Try this, along with 40wd's 1234 suggestion and see how you get on.

Depending on where you live, unauthorized access to your network is not a huge risk. Of course, if you live in an apartment building or in a very urban area it is a HUGE risk... if you live, as I do, in a fairly quiet area with good sized lots, the risk is small.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version