ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (30/33) > >>

Edvard:
GAH!!
2.5 Gig Win7 download
1.4 Meg vLite download
1.34 Gig Microsoft WAIK download (required by vLite)

This had better turn out a less-than-700-Megabyte install iso or I'm gonna be upset...  >:(

40hz:
GAH!!
2.5 Gig Win7 download
1.4 Meg vLite download
1.34 Gig Microsoft WAIK download (required by vLite)

This had better turn out a less-than-700-Megabyte install iso or I'm gonna be upset...  >:(

-Edvard (January 14, 2009, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

My sentiments exactly. It's the 1.34Gb WAIK download that prompted me to say "Shag this!"

I'm curious...but I'm not that curious. 8)

40Hz: how on earth is that going to work if you having installed a bootsector on the USB device? Formatting doesn't do that by default...
-f0dder (January 14, 2009, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. From the look of the how-to, the formatting was done under Win7. I suspect that a boot sector gets written to the drive when you select the new "Mark Partition as Active" option under the Drive Manager.

Looks like they added some features from the old fdisk command to the Disk Management snap-in.

f0dder:
It sucks that you have to download WAIK to use vLite - I'm pretty sure it's only one or two DLL files it needs from that package (or something similar). nuhi probably did it this way to avoid getting into redistribution trouble with Microsoft... I'm attaching the files I think are necessary here, try unpacking them to your vLite install folder. I hope it's not a problem posting them here, honestly I can't see the problem in doing so - but moderators, feel free to remove if you don't approve.

Wrt. bootsector getting installed if you mark partition as active, that sounds reasonable.

40hz:
It sucks that you have to download WAIK to use vLite - I'm pretty sure it's only one or two DLL files it needs from that package (or something similar). nuhi probably did it this way to avoid getting into redistribution trouble with Microsoft... I'm attaching the files I think are necessary here, try unpacking them to your vLite install folder.
-f0dder (January 15, 2009, 12:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks f0dder!  That did the trick.  :Thmbsup:

1. Drop wimfltr, wimfltr.sys, and  wimgapi.dll into the vLite root folder.

2. Right click on wimfltr (i.e. setup info file) and select Install

Next time you open vLite it's ready to go.

---------

Well...it's 2:05AM where I'm sitting, so I'm gonna call it a day and give vLite a shot tomorrow. I'll post how it worked out when I do.

'Night...

Edvard:
w00t!!
Worked fine.
Mounted the DVD iso with MagicISO.
vLite grinding away...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version