Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 19, 2014, 12:13:53 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)  (Read 37227 times)
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2009, 10:43:40 AM »

No, neither VMWare nor Parallels can run the windows experience index to completion, and hang in the same place you found. I tried editing registry values to force aero to show, but it didn't work. I know VMWare are working on getting aero supported, don't know why they find it so difficult as they are DirectX 9c compliant.

It probably doesn't help that the VMWare display adapter only allocates 16Mb of memory - and I think Aero requires 128Mb as a minimum.

Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2009, 10:50:56 AM »

Crap! So much for my cunning plan to run the 64-bit version in a Virtual PC (note to self: RTFM before downloading the iso!).

Looks like I'll have to install to an extra harddrive afterall...

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »

Just as a public service announcement to others considering their options: few (if any?) of the free or cheap virtualization options support a 64-bit guest OS...

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2009, 11:08:11 AM »

Another strange issue - with multiple boot systems:

If you install Win7 in new partition when you boot into Win7 the active partition doesn't seem to be listed as a drive!

For example my system has:

1 ... Win XP
2 ... Vista 32
3 ... Vista 64
4 ... Win 7

When in Win 7 partition 1 is listed in disk management but is not assigned a drive letter. Partitions 2,3,4 show up and have letters as normal.

Others seem to report it isn't an issue with XP but if you have Vista in the boot partition that doesn't show up either.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2009, 11:17:26 AM »

Carol, sorry to hear you've had that amount of problems - good thing this is a beta, after all smiley

IMHO everything looks OK without Aero, but of course not having the acceleration sucks. I was able to run the performance index just fine under my vmware 5.5.9 btw, perhaps because it doesn't try supporting recent Direct3D?

- carpe noctem
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »

Crap! So much for my cunning plan to run the 64-bit version in a Virtual PC (note to self: RTFM before downloading the iso!).

You can install it in a VM - it is just Aero doesn't work so the TaskBar look clunky (though it still works)

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »

Interesting, my Vista (1st drive) didn't show up either. A part me just put it down to a purposeful decision by MS to prevent 7 messing up another installation without you expressly allowing access to it. But I have no backing for that, just a hunch.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »

You can install it in a VM - it is just Aero doesn't work so the TaskBar look clunky (though it still works)

Yes, but I'll need to download the 32-bit version to run it in most of the VM solutions available and, AFAICT, in any of the free/cheap options.

So, I could run it in VM but I'll need to download the 32-bit iso. No big deal, I'm just not sure I can be bothered at the moment.

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »

Yes, but I'll need to download the 32-bit version to run it in most of the VM solutions available and, AFAICT, in any of the free/cheap options.

Not necessarily so, VirtualBox now supports 64bit guests if you have VT-x or AMD-V.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »

2Deozaan
How does it look like without whole fancy-glassy Aero stuff? Is it possible to disable theming service?

Looks pretty good to me. Especially since it can't run Aero with my test machine's onboard video. Grin

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »

Just lacks transparency and there are none of the magic preview-thumbnails in the taskbar.

Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »

Not necessarily so, VirtualBox now supports 64bit guests if you have VT-x or AMD-V.
As does VMWare (VirtualBox ftw). VirtualPC sucks Wink

Ehtyar.
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2009, 01:57:30 PM »

So VirtualPC 2007 doesn't support 64-bit OSes at all? I thought it just wouldn't let me install a 64-bit VM on a 32-bit host OS.

Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »

VirtualPC is a pretty pointless toy in comparison with other solutions (at least the free version - it doesn't even support USB).

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »

Interesting, my Vista (1st drive) didn't show up either. A part me just put it down to a purposeful decision by MS to prevent 7 messing up another installation without you expressly allowing access to it. But I have no backing for that, just a hunch.
Perhaps it hides the partition that contains the BCD? On my vmware install, Win7 insisted on creating a separate 200meg partition for that stuff, and didn't assign it a drive letter. Curious to see what this partition contained, I assigned a drive letter to it myself... which Win7 then wouldn't let me unmap, doh!

- carpe noctem
Hirudin
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »

I guess that partition is some kind of "recovery partition" like what HP, Dell, etc. put on their computers. 200mb seems a bit small for recovery, but at least it's small enough that I can just ignore it.

I saw some page that had instructions to prevent that partition from being created. I didn't read it very carefully, but it looked like the main idea was to partition/format the HDD before installing Windows 7.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »

I guess that partition is some kind of "recovery partition" like what HP, Dell, etc. put on their computers. 200mb seems a bit small for recovery, but at least it's small enough that I can just ignore it.

I saw some page that had instructions to prevent that partition from being created. I didn't read it very carefully, but it looked like the main idea was to partition/format the HDD before installing Windows 7.
I don't think it has anything to do with recovery - it's simply Boot Configuration Data - perhaps some bootloader code too. Didn't look super closely at it.

Sounds reasonable that you might be able to prevent it by pre-partitioning (the BCD would end up on your system partition then). It's a bit annoying that the installer is so inflexible wrt. partition creation.

- carpe noctem
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2009, 04:21:39 PM »

So VirtualPC 2007 doesn't support 64-bit OSes at all? I thought it just wouldn't let me install a 64-bit VM on a 32-bit host OS.

No... I looked at both it and Parallels Workstation (I was excitedly thinking that the key I got for free and archived would benefit me!) and neither supports a 64-bit guest OS  Sad I looked at alternatives and *thought* that this was pretty much de rigeur for free/cheap VM solutions. It appears that I was wrong! I'm not interested in spending any money on this, but will take a look at the suggestions offered here. Thanks EĆ³in and Ehtyar  Thmbsup

EDIT: added some missing words...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:00:19 PM by Darwin » Logged

Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »

Crumb!

VMware Workstation 6.5 for Windows = $189.00  ohmy and VirtualBox doesn't support my chipset, it seems (Intel Dual Core T5750)... Will have to investigate alternative VMs/install to a spare HD/download 32-bit version.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:01:13 PM by Darwin » Logged

Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »

I haven't tried them but what about some of the free VM Server editions (VMWare server is free).

I'm not sure what Server is lacking with respect to creating desktop apps.

There is also VMWare player which is free with VM appliances - and I am sure someone will produce a Win7 appliance for both 32-bit and 64-bit before too long.

MrCrispy
Participant

« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2009, 08:38:06 PM »

Yes, that 200MB is the Windows recovery partition. It lets you run the recovery console without needing the Windows dvd. If you install on a system which is already partitioned, then the recovery files are placed in c:\Srd instead.
MrCrispy
Participant

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:05 PM »

This is what the recovery environment looks like -

http://www.aeroxp.org/200...-recovery-actually-works/

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2009, 12:38:41 AM »

Are you sure it has anything to do with recovery? It sure doesn't look that way to me...

- carpe noctem
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2009, 06:35:13 AM »

Just lacks transparency and there are none of the magic preview-thumbnails in the taskbar.

I am not sure if TaskbarEx will work with Win7, but if it does, you got thumbnails if you want them (and you can adjust size & quality to get best performance)

mediaguycouk
Supporting Member

« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2009, 06:49:53 AM »

I've just bought VM Ware, but I found this out about it

VM Ware Player = Plays virtual PCs but cannot make virtual hard drives
VM Ware Workstation = 30 day trial, after 30 days cannot play virtual PCs

Both together = Create hard drive in VM Workstation (even once the trial has expired) and then turn it on in VM Player

Learning C# - Graham Robinson
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.089s | Server load: 0.99 ]