ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (24/33) > >>

Hirudin:
I guess that partition is some kind of "recovery partition" like what HP, Dell, etc. put on their computers. 200mb seems a bit small for recovery, but at least it's small enough that I can just ignore it.

I saw some page that had instructions to prevent that partition from being created. I didn't read it very carefully, but it looked like the main idea was to partition/format the HDD before installing Windows 7.

f0dder:
I guess that partition is some kind of "recovery partition" like what HP, Dell, etc. put on their computers. 200mb seems a bit small for recovery, but at least it's small enough that I can just ignore it.

I saw some page that had instructions to prevent that partition from being created. I didn't read it very carefully, but it looked like the main idea was to partition/format the HDD before installing Windows 7.
-Hirudin (January 11, 2009, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think it has anything to do with recovery - it's simply Boot Configuration Data - perhaps some bootloader code too. Didn't look super closely at it.

Sounds reasonable that you might be able to prevent it by pre-partitioning (the BCD would end up on your system partition then). It's a bit annoying that the installer is so inflexible wrt. partition creation.

Darwin:
So VirtualPC 2007 doesn't support 64-bit OSes at all? I thought it just wouldn't let me install a 64-bit VM on a 32-bit host OS.
-Deozaan (January 11, 2009, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

No... I looked at both it and Parallels Workstation (I was excitedly thinking that the key I got for free and archived would benefit me!) and neither supports a 64-bit guest OS  :( I looked at alternatives and *thought* that this was pretty much de rigeur for free/cheap VM solutions. It appears that I was wrong! I'm not interested in spending any money on this, but will take a look at the suggestions offered here. Thanks Eóin and Ehtyar  :Thmbsup:

EDIT: added some missing words...

Darwin:
Crumb!

VMware Workstation 6.5 for Windows = $189.00  :o and VirtualBox doesn't support my chipset, it seems (Intel Dual Core T5750)... Will have to investigate alternative VMs/install to a spare HD/download 32-bit version.

Carol Haynes:
I haven't tried them but what about some of the free VM Server editions (VMWare server is free).

I'm not sure what Server is lacking with respect to creating desktop apps.

There is also VMWare player which is free with VM appliances - and I am sure someone will produce a Win7 appliance for both 32-bit and 64-bit before too long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version