ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (31/33) > >>

40hz:
Re: vLite and Win7

Well, it apparently works.

I did a few minimal component removals, and added one NIC driver I know I need as a test.

The entire process was pretty sluggish on my underpowered test machine.

The entire build, from start to finished ISO, ran just under an hour (with my CPU frequently spiking to 100% and RAM usage up around 68-89%} as I expected it would.

My new ISO image tips the scales at 1.87 Gb  vs 2.44Gb (or whatever the 64-bit Microsoft image size is). That's a fairly substantial drop in size IMHO. Especially considering how few changes I made to the default install.

Pretty cool. 8)

P.S. Thanks again f0dder for those components. If I had to download the entire WAIK to get them, I wouldn't be posting this right now. :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
w00t!!
Worked fine.
Mounted the DVD iso with MagicISO.
vLite grinding away...
-Edvard (January 15, 2009, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Looking forward to hear about your experience - how much did it reduce the final ISO size by?

Edvard:
OK, I stripped everything out that I could stand. The BIG ones were Language Packs, Aero, and Natural Language search. I left out everything hardware related that I definitely don't have a need for(wireless, firewire, fax, etc.) and left out Games and IIS.
STILL Ultimate came out to 1.7 Gigs and Home Premium came out to 1.4 Gigs.  :o

vLite lets me split the ISO so I could do it with 3 CD's, but...

I guess it's just time to upgrade to a DVD burner...  :-\

Darwin:
OK, I stripped everything out that I could stand. The BIG ones were Language Packs, Aero, and Natural Language search. I left out everything hardware related that I definitely don't have a need for(wireless, firewire, fax, etc.) and left out Games and IIS.
STILL Ultimate came out to 1.7 Gigs and Home Premium came out to 1.4 Gigs.  :o

vLite lets me split the ISO so I could do it with 3 CD's, but...

I guess it's just time to upgrade to a DVD burner...  :-\

-Edvard (January 15, 2009, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know not whereof I speak, but could you extract the iso to a bootable USB device (thumb drive, flash card, harddrive)?  Just a (stupid?) thought  :huh:

Edvard:
I would (I have a 4G usb stick I can spare) but my box doesn't boot the usb. I've looked around for ways to make Grub boot the usb port and floppy-based usb booters, but nothing has worked so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version