topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 4:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: PreDelete  (Read 5197 times)

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: PreDelete
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Since I know nothing about programming, I have no idea if this would qualify as a Coding Snack but I would like to have a program that:

1.  Gives me a place (a folder will do) - other than the recycle bin - to send anything I am not sure is safe to delete. 
2.  Can be restored to its original place - just like using the Restore buttton from the recycle bin does.

Yes, I know I can - and in fact I do - use a folder to hold such items until I am ready to send them on their way.  The problem occurs when, for whatever reason, I want to restore something only to realize -  I don't remember where it came from.

Maybe you could call it Halfway House or Limbo or I'll Be There.  What do you think?

Thanks.

P.S. On my system, a huge number of files are sent to the Recycle Bin daily so it must also be emptied every day. A program like this should be useful for many people. 

tmpusr

• Joined in 2005
  • Instantiation stuck in meatspace with no backup
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: PreDelete
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:53 PM »
Probably better as a separate program: move the data back to where it came from at a predetermined time, or pop up a reminder asking "Restore?". You could set up a new reminder date or snooze it for n days/weeks/months/years.

The one that asks you to "Restore or delete?" would be the program you ask for (or the one I proposed, just run with a different option.)

C:\Folder\File.txt
goes to
C:\Boomerang\Folder\File.txt

and

D:\Folder\File.txt
goes to
D:\Boomerang\Folder\File.txt

You could set the folder name and location (on each drive or on one drive).

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Yeah. Right. I think I understand what you said and it makes sense - thanks for answering. I guess it would be a big project though and not a coding snack 'cause you are the only one who replied.  :)

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Could you pls explain it in more detail? I could code something as FARR plug-in which would handle it.

I already have written a timer plug-in for FARR and as I want to rewrite it from scratch I am thinking of adding scripting ability, which could in fact be used for this purpose as well.

Do I understand it correctly that file which was formerly at location
D:\folder\file.txt
will be stored in
D:\trash\folder\file.txt
?

If so, will you handle copying of the file into trash folder with maintaining of the path by yourself or do you want the program to do it for you?
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Could you pls explain it in more detail? I could code something as FARR plug-in which would handle it.

I already have written a timer plug-in for FARR and as I want to rewrite it from scratch I am thinking of adding scripting ability, which could in fact be used for this purpose as well.

Do I understand it correctly that file which was formerly at location
D:\folder\file.txt
will be stored in
D:\trash\folder\file.txt
?

If so, will you handle copying of the file into trash folder with maintaining of the path by yourself or do you want the program to do it for you?

I don't use FARR because I have a launcher that I dearly love for its tiny size. I know FARR is highly thought of and if it did just this one thing I would be pleased to use it for that.

I have a folder where I store files I would like to get rid of.  All I need, as pointed out by tmpusr, is something that would restore a file to its original location - just like what happens when I choose Restore in the Recycle Bin. 

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I don't talk tech -- at all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:31 PM by sazzen »