ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fast Dial Warning for FF

<< < (3/5) > >>

cmpm:
The apology and reasoning from the author.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5721

Figure he deserves to be heard since I posted the warning on the GREATEST Site I know of.

Deozaan:
That's good to know, but what's done is done.

I'm already on Speed Dial and probably won't go back to Fast Dial anytime soon.

Ehtyar:
That's hardly an explanation. He was trying to make money by spamming people's browsers without their consent. Unacceptable.

Ehtyar.

J-Mac:
That's hardly an explanation. He was trying to make money by spamming people's browsers without their consent. Unacceptable.

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (January 11, 2009, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. Some things are simply not forgivable in this business. (At least by me)

Jim

raybeere:
I agree the developer is at fault, and never should have done what he did without warning. If someone tells me first that I have to accept ads / spam, I may or may not decide it's worth it. If they don't warn me first, I'll never trust them again.

What I find foolish is the folks blaming Mozilla. How are they supposed to check every little update that comes along? I think some of the responsibility lies with the users. I mean, even when developers act in good faith, sometimes they make changes you aren't happy with. If you just blindly allow everything to be updated automatically, you're taking some risk you'll be unhappy with the result. In this case, the developer was also at fault, no question. But users need to pay attention to what is happening on their systems (unless they want to be one of those guys who just accepts whatever comes up on their screen - and then I think they'll be getting some nasty surprises pretty quickly).

I mean, malware authors all deserve a good kick in the head, and nothing absolves them of the responsibility for spreading their crap. But, hate it or not, it does exist. If you just press "Yes" whenever a box pops up on your screen, or you set your system to automatically accept whatever updates are pushed at it, sooner or later, you're going to wind up with junk on your hard drive you never put there and don't want there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version