ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fast Dial Warning for FF

(1/5) > >>

cmpm:
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/08/firefox-automatic-extension-updates/

Never liked that one anyway.
I prefer Speed Dial.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4810

The auto update of add ons should be monitored by the user closely though,imo.

Lashiec:
I'm surprised it took so long to make something like this, but sooner or later it was going to happen. I wonder what the Mozilla guys are going to do to prevent it from happening in the future.

housetier:
That makes me think about this automatic update feature...

Maybe the proposed updates by the authors need to be checked as carefully their initial submission when they first put it on AMO.

Ehtyar:
Mozilla has rather stringent checks on new addons but after determining them to be safe, updates seem to be unchecked.

What irritates me is that everyone just expects Mozilla to police every update for every addon for their browser. That's like asking Microsoft to police every program for Windows (on muuuuuch less of a budget). Granted Microsoft doesn't offer Windows applications from their own website, but really, who wouldn't go for that? Seems like Mozilla is now being penalized for offering a service as a convenience for users. It's really a shame this had to happen, the author should be responsible here, not Mozilla.

Ehtyar.

J-Mac:
I installed that update the other day. The interface itself looked horrible! The tab bar triple in height. I uninstalled it and instead installed Speed Dial.

For the record, my default search engine was NOT changed, my home page did not change either. I cannot say whether or not the first three windows of the Fast Dial thing changed as I uninstalled it before I even looked at it.

So was the add-on screwed up? Definitely! Did it make malware-like changes on my computer? Nope. Not a one. Just lucky, I guess!

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version