ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

eBook readers

<< < (3/7) > >>

mcbiz:
Can't wait for the Plastic Logic reader due out later this year.
All about it here - http://www.plasticlogic.com/product.html
All I want is something to read PDFs, .lit, text, html etc.
I don't want sound or movies, just the ability to load my collection of ebooks.
Maybe this is IT.

Mark0:
Plastic Logic is now targeting an early 2010 release:

Engadget - Plastic Logic e-reader not coming until early 2010

wyrwolf:
AAMOF, I just bought something yesterday.
It's a reconditioned Palm Treo 270 that I got for a reduced, reduced, reduced-to-clear price of $20.00CAN.
I'd love to have something better, but I think it's insane to pay more for a dedicated e-book reader than for a computer.
At home I use my laptop - perfect size for comic books and good for all other differently-sized media. It's more clunky than an e-book reader, but no more so than a hardcover.

Josh:
I highly recommend the Amazon Kindle. That is by far the best investment I have made for my wife I can think of, second to her recent college journey. It is very easy to use, the books are very reasonably priced and with a 4GB SD Card, you can store an infinite amount of books (For all intents and purposes). It has very quick delivery to the kindle via the free whispernet which uses CDMA, GSM and 1XEV networks to transfer data wirelessly and for free.

Highly recommended. I give it 5 cody drumsticks out of a possible 5

Tiesenhausen:
This is an interesting discussion. I've been wondering if any e-reader has arrived at the point where I should buy one.

For Josh in particular, can the Kindle read anything, or just Amazon's proprietary formula? I would want an e-reader that can read books and documents in almost any form--for example, I want to download books from Google Books and read them on the bus, as well as buy new books from Amazon.

Also, is it so difficult to get crisp black print on a white background? Or is that even a good idea? More thoughts on display, and maybe a few screen shots of actual displays, would be welcome.

Tiesenhausen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version