ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

simple & easy way to exchange sensitive information?

<< < (2/4) > >>

f0dder:
I was thinking more about this & thought that it might be useful if the program had a once-only or list of passwords that it cycled through. That would mean that the password could be given to someone to access the information, but that it would not work on a second occasion. Doesn't really matter then if the friend records it as it would no longer work, so long as they did use it immediately.
-Dormouse (January 08, 2009, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
You can't do that reliably.

The closest would be some cryptographic function that transforms the current date and combines with a passphrase, but that would be slightly clunky, and could be defeated simply by setting the PC's clock back.

Dormouse:
For a once only use, I thought it would be possible to have an openable/unopenable switch. Once it has been opened it records the fact and can't ever be opened again.

For a cycle, there would be say 10 pre-programmed passwords. Once each one had been used, the program would need the next to open. At the end of the 10 it could either terminate (like once only) or switch back to the first.

cranioscopical:
Re fSekrit
Sorry for the self-promotion, but it was the first thing that sprung to mind
-f0dder (January 08, 2009, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

My first thought, too.  I find it extremely useful.

FWIW I'd never want to be in the situation where any issuer could prove that I'd voluntarily handed out my card details.  
I'd try my utmost to find another way round what justice wants to achieve.

justice:
I just went home after work instead which solves my original issue ;-) but I still think it will be an issue for many people that it's not easy and simple enough to have a secure exchange of information online.

Paul Keith:
I think something like Lastpass would be among the easiest but also secure ways to share sensitive data that can be written on a note but at the same time, it's also dependent on how much you trust an online password service and not many do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version