ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Does anyone know if there is something “very useful” in IE8?

<< < (4/4)

app103:
You could try Sleipnir, which allows you to use both IE's Trident engine and Gecko (which is what Firefox uses), switching between them by just clicking the little icon in the statusbar.

You can choose a default engine (I would choose Gecko) and if you have any issues with a particular page, just click that icon to switch when you need it. It only switches the engine for that tab

While in Trident mode, it will use the engine of whatever version of IE you happen to have installed. (IE 5+)

The Gecko engine isn't installed by default and on some system configurations (like mine) it can be a bit tricky to install. They offer the Gecko installer separately for the portable version, but you will not be able to install it and still keep Sleipnir completely portable.

I ran into some issues because I have K-Meleon installed on my system, too. I had to get my hands dirty, running process monitor to find out why the install was failing, and then editing the registry to get it to work.

Be warned: tech support is offered through their forum, English is not their first language, and they assume you are an experienced knowledgeable Windows power user. They don't hold your hand and walk you through fixing issues and will only hint at where you should look and what to do.

nosh:
IE8 seems to update the core rendering components used by other applications. Shouldn't this be a good enough reason to upgrade?

Lashiec:
IE8 seems to update the core rendering components used by other applications. Shouldn't this be a good enough reason to upgrade?
-nosh (March 19, 2009, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes and no. While it surely be damn useful for certain applications, waiting some time to upgrade while those apps fix possible issues with IE8 is also advisable, I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version