ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Ipod/ cleaning mp3s

(1/4) > >>

Fred Nerd:

I just bought my first Ipod. 120GB classic. I mean to fill it with my cd collection (ok, partly fill it :)).
But I also have a bunch of random songs on my computer which come from questionable sources.
The question is: is there any danger in transferring these to the Ipod, and how can this be avoided? I was thinking of running them through a program like Super(c) and changing format to clean them of any other data, I don't know if this helps?

Also, what other sync programs do you reccommend? Or should just stick with Itunes? Usless 65.5MB download.....seriously, couldn't they put it on the ipod, or on a cd, or anything??????
I'm on a 500 a month plan, and what about people on dialup??????

I'll see how I like it when I finally get it down. But I don't hold much hope, I never did like apple, and I think this will just justify it.....

kilele:
I use in my car a cheap pendrive of 4GB and '"synchronize" it by hand with this program
http://www.davewolf.net/software/products.php

f0dder:
There shouldn't really be any harm in transferring MP3 files directly to the ipod - at least I haven't heard of any attacks coming that way (there's been some media player exploits, but can't remember if that was through MP3 or WMA). I wouldn't worry, really.

As for iTunes, yeah it's a big pile of junk. But you made a mistake in choosing an apple product - you will need to use a synchronization app that understands the iPod, and can't just copy your MP3 files directly to the device. There are alternatives to iJunk, though - iirc there's a winamp plugin, and I've heard people say good things about anapod (but have no experience with it myself).

Personally, I'm glad I got a sandisk sansa e280... 8gig built-in flash, and an added 8gig SD micro card. There's a long way to go to harddisk-sized capacity, but 16 gigs on the go is good enough for me, and I transfer files simply by copying via explorer :)

Fred Nerd:
I've heard vague rumours of ipods bricking with some songs from Limewire, on some tech help website some people were wanting help with it, but I never found out if they really knew why it bricked.
So thats why I wanted to know.

I know I shouldn't have gone apple, but when you want to put 500+ cds on, and a few concert dvds, and still have room to play with, there's no other option. not in Australia anyway.

A bit of research has turned up a few other options which sound interesting.

I just really hate this piece of rotten apple.
WHERE IS THE SETTINGS SECTION?????????

the settings are not what I call settings, I want to be able to control folder view, the size of the font, why the screen is half taken by album cover art which it can never find so why have a blank half.......

And the scroll volume....... give me a break, if you think thats a good feature..... try changeing it with one finger like you can a nice 2 button volume. Oh and then you can't change the volume unless you are in the now playing section......

If anyone invents a windows or Linux or android based mp3 player with 120GB, they'll make a fortune.....
I don't know about Zune: we can't get it here.

Anyway, it will do me, but I'll never love it; my cheap digital camera has more, easy to use features.....

And do I get the impression that you need to have your entire collection on your computer to sync it to the ipod?
So, since I only only have a few GB free, I can't use most of the ipod, (except by using third party software)....

Apple = mad

Sorry about the rant, but $339 is a lot for a piece of **** in a shiny cover. (at least mine isn't that annoying old white :p)

tomos:
And do I get the impression that you need to have your entire collection on your computer to sync it to the ipod?
So, since I only only have a few GB free, I can't use most of the ipod, (except by using third party software)....
-Fred Nerd (January 09, 2009, 03:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've heard that but from a friend of mine who isnt that familiar with the software (iTunes) and isnt really a check-out-all-the-options-type
-
is it true that you have to synch your full iTunes collection with the iPod - i.e. you cant have more in iTunes than you have in yer iPod (or the other way round) - or worse still you cant selectively select what goes on the iPod ??
if that's true Apple truly are mad as you say Fred lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version