topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google and Feedburner  (Read 2390 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google and Feedburner
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:27 PM »
Firstly, I want praise for not using 'GOOGLE IS EVIL!!' as the title of this thread.

There, now that that's out of the way...

We have here and here two identical RSS feeds, yes? One is the source feed from TechCrunch's Wordpress, the other is that very same feed proxied through Google's recent Feedburner acquisition which happens to be the only feed that TechCrunch themselves link to.

Now I understand people using Google services when Google gets to mine the user's data/behavior in return. I have a personal objection to it, but if people are willing to expose themselves like that then it's on their back. But exactly what benefit does the user receive when retrieving feeds from Google's proxy as opposed to getting them directly from the source site?

I fully acknowledge that the provider of said service benefits from using this service, but it's not the provider's behavior Google gets to mine. It deeply concerns me that in this case Google has, in my opinion, moved from providing services that entice users, to providing services that entice providers into forcing users to use said services.

I'm going to stop short of claiming Google is evil in this case simply because I can't imagine I'm not missing something here. I would really appreciate some insight into what the F is going on here.

Ehtyar.