ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Funny things that happen during debugging

(1/1)

wreckedcarzz:
Alright, I have been making a Stoplight simulation program (don't ask why :P) over the last few days, and during debugging I had some STRANGE things happen due to so many things to consider and variables to take into account and whatnot - this is one of the images I got...

"STOPLIGHTS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY"
Funny things that happen during debugging

So, just curious what other things have happened to people while debugging? What happens when you have a "little" too much liquor and you try making that database application? ;D <-- Not that I have done this... not saying I haven't :o ;D ;D ;D

EDIT: Just for reference, this is a standard USA 4 way stoplight (taking into account timing only for 2 of the 4 ways... it's not a perfect science)

f0dder:
4-way light?

Anyway, lot's of funny things can happen while debugging. Like, when team-mate haven't indented their code properly, and you spend 30 minutes debugging GUI element creation code, until you realize that a whole bunch of elements are being created repeatedly because they're part of a while loop (and you missed this because of lack of sleep and indentation). Lots of horrible stuff can happen :)

wreckedcarzz:
Yea, like a 4-way stop. 4 different roads converging in a perpendicular manner to make one single intersection. (I took Geometry last semester, might as well sound smart :P)

I ended up making an infinite loop on a friend's final project while trying to help him - this If statement wouldn't trigger, and the Do...Loop kept going until the If was completed, and it never was... that was embarrassing explaining once I figured out what I did. ;D

f0dder:
Ah duh, so basically 2 roads intersecting in a cross, with two (opposite-facing) directions being green and the two other sides being red? I thought the 4-way part had to do with the states the lights could be in (on one side), which kinda baffled me. Guess it would be best heading off to bed :P

wreckedcarzz:
Ah duh, so basically 2 roads intersecting in a cross, with two (opposite-facing) directions being green and the two other sides being red? I thought the 4-way part had to do with the states the lights could be in (on one side), which kinda baffled me. Guess it would be best heading off to bed :P
-f0dder (January 05, 2009, 09:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Correct. Two roads intersecting. How would you manage to get 4 different light "modes"?

Green on road 1
Red on road 2
Yellow on road 3
Wtf goes on road 4? Flashing red lights? No lights? One lane for each color?

But then... THIS HAPPENS (FWIW, I *love* that series, even though I can't speak/understand a bit of German).

It boggles the mind! ;D

EDIT: For the Stoplight, that video would make the BEST error message ever. >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version