topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Funny things that happen during debugging  (Read 4274 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Funny things that happen during debugging
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Alright, I have been making a Stoplight simulation program (don't ask why :P) over the last few days, and during debugging I had some STRANGE things happen due to so many things to consider and variables to take into account and whatnot - this is one of the images I got...

"STOPLIGHTS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY"
STOPLIGHTS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.pngFunny things that happen during debugging

So, just curious what other things have happened to people while debugging? What happens when you have a "little" too much liquor and you try making that database application? ;D <-- Not that I have done this... not saying I haven't :o ;D ;D ;D

EDIT: Just for reference, this is a standard USA 4 way stoplight (taking into account timing only for 2 of the 4 ways... it's not a perfect science)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 08:11 PM by wreckedcarzz »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Funny things that happen during debugging
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:13 PM »
4-way light?

Anyway, lot's of funny things can happen while debugging. Like, when team-mate haven't indented their code properly, and you spend 30 minutes debugging GUI element creation code, until you realize that a whole bunch of elements are being created repeatedly because they're part of a while loop (and you missed this because of lack of sleep and indentation). Lots of horrible stuff can happen :)
- carpe noctem

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Yea, like a 4-way stop. 4 different roads converging in a perpendicular manner to make one single intersection. (I took Geometry last semester, might as well sound smart :P)

I ended up making an infinite loop on a friend's final project while trying to help him - this If statement wouldn't trigger, and the Do...Loop kept going until the If was completed, and it never was... that was embarrassing explaining once I figured out what I did. ;D

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Ah duh, so basically 2 roads intersecting in a cross, with two (opposite-facing) directions being green and the two other sides being red? I thought the 4-way part had to do with the states the lights could be in (on one side), which kinda baffled me. Guess it would be best heading off to bed :P
- carpe noctem

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:23 PM »
Ah duh, so basically 2 roads intersecting in a cross, with two (opposite-facing) directions being green and the two other sides being red? I thought the 4-way part had to do with the states the lights could be in (on one side), which kinda baffled me. Guess it would be best heading off to bed :P

Correct. Two roads intersecting. How would you manage to get 4 different light "modes"?

Green on road 1
Red on road 2
Yellow on road 3
Wtf goes on road 4? Flashing red lights? No lights? One lane for each color?

But then... THIS HAPPENS (FWIW, I *love* that series, even though I can't speak/understand a bit of German).

It boggles the mind! ;D

EDIT: For the Stoplight, that video would make the BEST error message ever. >:D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:27 PM by wreckedcarzz »