ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Ribbon strikes again!

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
SolSuite Solitaire is the latest app to ruin its UI with a completely superfluous use of the Ribbon where it's not needed. Look how much vertical screen space that fat tub-o-toolbar eats up! Seriously, was this designed for 6-year olds?

Notice they actually have a categorized label of Undo and Redo under two monster icons labeled Undo Move and Redo Move. Gaaah!!! SolSuite, I curse thy name. Better, I'll let Captain Picard express my emotions.

zridling:
Josh reminded me of this one, so I shouldn't be too hard on the Ribbon:

Josh:
You might not want it, but I can tell you from first hand experience that once the users I support have learned the ribbon, upon our migration to O2K7, a lot of them are far more productive. The ribbon is indeed useful if used to it's capacity. It makes logical sense and gives a once over of the options available. Not all people can memorize menu locations and this provides them a much easier way to accomplish what they want.

Deozaan:
Why did they start making everything for the vision impaired starting with Vista? No, I don't want my recycle bin to take up half of my monitor. No, I don't want icons that are as big as an iPod Nano on my screen. No, I don't want toolbar buttons (including the Ribbon) that are as big as a postage stamp.

The Ribbon is a great idea for an Accessibility option, but it needs an option to return to classic style toolbars with small buttons.

Josh:
Is that because you want it to or because it would be for the better of all people who use windows and it's apps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version