topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: also check out process lasso (new free lite version)  (Read 21905 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
also check out process lasso (new free lite version)
« on: July 02, 2005, 01:38 PM »
the maker of process lasso has newly released a freeware lite version:
http://www.bitsum.com/prosuper.asp

process lasso has the same aim as process tamer (and actually came out before process tamer), so it's definitely worth checking out if you like process tamer.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: also check out process lasso (new free lite version)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 10:06 PM »
He says "Windows provides no method to set the default process priority for specific processes".  Not entirely true, since the START command offers exactly that.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 01:30 AM »
can you set run priority to run as from start menu shortcut?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 01:32 AM »
by the way, i didn't post the link as a way to say that process tamer is not going to be improved -
far from it!
Process Tamer will get a new round of improvements and new features as soon as some time is found for it.
Im just encouraging everyone to check out alternatives, suggest features they like, etc.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 01:32 AM »

Yes, use a shortcut with this target:

cmd /c start "" /<priority> <path to application>

e.g.

cmd /c start "" /high calc.exe

And set the shortcut's Run setting to Minimized to prevent the command window from flashing by.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 01:34 AM by Scott »

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 01:37 AM »

Knowing a little about the command line interface can really help a lot.  You might be surprised with some things you can do with it.  As one small example, I use this shortcut target to observe my PendingFileRenameOperations value, using Sysinternals PendMoves utility.

cmd.exe /c pendmoves & pause & exit

(Of course, this requires that pendmoves.exe be in %path%...)

OT but I figured I'd mention it.  Bastard that I am.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 01:39 AM »
nice, i had no idea you could do that. cool.

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 04:19 AM »
He says "Windows provides no method to set the default process priority for specific processes".  Not entirely true, since the START command offers exactly that.

You are correct about the start method for setting initial priorities, although it is a little messy when it comes to launching processes from icons as you have the console window popup each time you launch an app.  Of course this can be minimised, but you still get an additional process on the taskbar for a couple of seconds.  There is also all the fiddling about setting the icon back to the original and considering additional switches to provide the functionality the .lnk is providing to the cmd console rather than to your app.  Sure, this is fine when you have a single app priority you wish to change, but when you have 30+ it become unpleasant.  It brings back so many bad memories.  :o

There is also Microsoft Windows Resource Manager (which ships with 2003) which gives the ability to pre-define process priority on many different criteria (and does an awful lot more besides).  It is only licensed to operation on 2003 server though. 

I've been using Process Lasso Pro (Process Supervisor back then) for some time on my personal server and have found it to be an excellent product.  The main advantage is it allows the changing of priorities for processes owned by other users, providing it is being run as an Admin equiv.  Attempting the same task via Task Manager will only get you 'access denied'.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you run processes/services as several different users or are running a Citrix server.
Designated "proofreading free" zone.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 12:42 PM »

I was, of course, just answering mouser's question.  I suppose it's nice to at least know that you can use the native command line facility for this purpose.  It can also be handy to use in batch files.  And it doesn't cost an additional $20 (with one of those greedy, senseless "one-year" update policies).

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 01:39 PM »
I have to agree with you on the update policy.  At least the Bitsum products are frequently updated.  I've been stung too many times by support expiring a few weeks before a new version of an app is released or getting not a single update within a year.  :-[

Another good command-line/batch utility for managing process priorities is PrcView.  It supports launching of processes at set priorites as well as giving the ability to change the priority of a running process.

http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm

I also find PsSuspend from Sysinternals is really useful as it allows tasks to be completely suspended like in UNIX.  For anyone interested, you can get it from: -

http://www.sysintern...ilities/PsTools.html
Designated "proofreading free" zone.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Hi guys,

Its the Bitsum guy here ;p. Yes, I monitor this thread too ;). Mouser's site kicks ass. His Process Tamer is what motivated me to begin enhancing Process Lasso. Before being renamed, few people knew Process Supervisor was anything more than a task manager.

Anyway...The one-year update policy is something I'll have to think about. Each year will cost you an additional $10 (50% of retail) for updates. Of course, you can continue to download older versions for as long as you want. I have to find a balance between making money and doing service for the community. I would love to give everything away free all the time, forever. But, then how am I going to keep developing software? Its a tricky issue and I hope people consider the other side of the coin.

Mouser, for instance, is providing a GREAT service to users in that he has developed all sorts of neat utilities for free, often at the request of users even. But although his stuff is free, if he doesn't eventually get donations, surely he will be forced to start allocating less time to DonationCoder and more time to a jobbie job.

Think about it. And donate to Mouser if you use his tools. Buy mine if you use mine. If you can't afford to do this, that's cool too though. That's why I give away the student version of PECompact and have Process Lasso lite. Additionally, if you email me asking for a free license because you really can't afford it, I'll likely give you one.

So.. keep us in mind guys ;).

Thanks,
Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 02:05 PM by db90h »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 02:10 PM »
if a post like jc's doesn't bring a warm feeling to your heart then you need a vacation.

can i add another note: jc donated a free copy of his awesome pecompact tool to donationcoder.com which we use to compress some of our applications, and jc has always been wonderfullly helpful about windows programming whenever i had a question.  he's just a great guy and a friend of this site.

and his site has other programs, both freeware and commercial, and some good programming libraries.

i hopt you all will give bitsum site (http://www.bitsum.com/) a look and support authors like jc who are real human beings who care.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 02:13 PM by mouser »

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 10:19 PM »
Anyway...The one-year update policy is something I'll have to think about. Each year will cost you an additional $10 (50% of retail) for updates. Of course, you can continue to download older versions for as long as you want. I have to find a balance between making money and doing service for the community. I would love to give everything away free all the time, forever. But, then how am I going to keep developing software? Its a tricky issue and I hope people consider the other side of the coin.

I don't see another side to the coin.  I didn't say--and would never say--that any dev should give away free updates.  (One of my pet peeves are people who whine about having to pay for upgrades, even if the upgrade fee is reasonable.)

My problem is with upgrade fees that are based on time frames, rather than version increments.  If you work on a new version, then I feel you have every right to charge an upgrade fee (unless all you did was change a few aspects of the GUI, hoping that a new look would fool people into thinking that it was really a "new" application).

On the other hand, I don't think it is fair to charge people for upgrades just because a certain amount of time has passed.  The kinds of license that really, really piss me off are the ones that are time based, and which require you to pay, even when no updates have been provided.  This is a subscription format, but some authors aren't even honest or forthright to call it that.  Here's one example of what can happen here:  You buy, let's say, version 1.5.  A year and a day goes by, then finally, version 2.0 comes out.  You didn't renew during the past year, because no updates were provided.  But lo and behold, you're no longer eligible for the reduced-price upgrade, because you didn't renew during the first year.

I have no idea if your license is of this type.  I doubt it is, but I'm too tired to check.  Even if it isn't, I can't see any sense in any type of time-based licensing, rather than version-based licensing.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Well, I just saw that only a few days ago a new version was made and that it is still free for home/personal use..

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 05:38 PM »
I use process lasso pro version, I think it is a nice app.   Process Tamer was nice as well but I just needed more in depth features.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 02:20 PM »
Hi.  Newbie here.  I also just found AutoHotKey and mess around with coding a few utilities.  What I noticed right away when I got my Vista PC was(and it's still true in W7 beta) that defrag is in the task scheduler to run at idle.  What I also found out was, it didn't care if a 3rd party defragger was already running. It just kicked right in because CPU % usage was low and I wasn't typing at the keyboard.

So I'm looking for a programmable launch utility(or clues how to code it myself) that would not kick off the target program unless disk access was below some adjustable parameter for some set amount of time.  I'm not looking for a way to tame the disk usage once the app starts since I know that's not a good place to try to mess around.  I just don't want a defragger or some disk intensive app to launch while I'm defragging or doing a video conversion or muxing etc..

I'd appreciate any pointers.