My Zune 30 just bricked, and I need a new player
. I know that portable MP3 players have been discussed before (e.g., here
), but I figure that this market changes enough that an update might be appropriate.
My default choice is a pretty direct replacement for the Zune with a Zune 80, available at Circuit City for $163. Here's my wish list:
- I'd like to keep the storage capacity to at least the same level as I have now, 30GB.
- The price should be under $200.
- Battery life should be at least 10 hours of audio playback.
- The UI should be easy to operate -- I listen in the car, and would prefer not to drive into a tree.
- I would prefer that it be accessible as simple USB mass storage (the Zune's closed interface is a pain)
- Being able to maintain a bookmark in a long track is absolutely critical, a non-negotiable feature. (Zune allows this if you lie to the thing, saying that your audiobook is a podcast)
I'm opposed to iPod because it's so darned expensive for its capabilities. I looked at Cowon and Creative Zen -- both of these are more expensive (particularly the Cowon), and I can't tell about the bookmarking capability.
Anyone care to help me with suggestions?