ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My google page rank dropped to 0, anyone have any ideas why?

<< < (4/4)

mahesh2k:
I agree with app103 on point of bad neighborhood especially when you're on shared hosting. Your PR drops if you're part of them.

Just for the info.
One more thing is you can use this site for submission of your blog/site. And let me remind you look at those directories carefully if these directories are jsut part of scraper sites and ad patched directories then maybe you shouldn't submit to such locations. You can start with directories having PR 3 and above, skip PR0-PR2 directories for now. Make sure you submit your blog/site at correct category.

Veign:
Having backlinks to your site can't hurt your Google ranking.  Google is smart enough to understand that you can't control who links to your therefore they won't penalize you.  Imagine if this was the case.  I could sink my competitor just by submitting them to certain directories or websites.  Not gonna happen.  Backlinks are a 0 or greater factor.  They can either effect your site positively or nothing.  It won't swing into a negative region.

mahesh2k:
Agree Chris. But i don't understand why people in most SEO blogs and Forums ask us to stay away from bad neighborhood and link farms. :tellme:

app103:
A lot of these bad directories require you to link back to them, and that's where the problem lies. Sure you could add your competitor to all these link farms and bad directories, but could you get your competitor to carry a little button linking back to them?

That's how people end up linking to bad neighborhoods without realizing it.

Veign:
Agree Chris. But i don't understand why people in most SEO blogs and Forums ask us to stay away from bad neighborhood and link farms. :tellme:
-mahesh2k (January 30, 2009, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Its the direction of the link that is key.  You have to avoid bad neighborhoods with outbound links, which are fully within your control.  When linking to someone think of it as casting a vote for the site with the anchor text assisting in what the vote is for.  By linking to a bad neighborhood, you are in essence, saying I approve of this website and want some of the trust and link juice from my page to be shifted to them.  This is why linking to them can hurt you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version