ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft's Pay-Per-Use PC: ...Worst? Idea? Ever?

<< < (5/6) > >>

40hz:
Going back to the topic at hand, it's probably one of the most stupid ideas ever devised. People usually don't like renting their devices, because in the long run they end up being expensive, and this is the same for all types of users. Renting a PC in this day and age is simply a phased-out idea (remember the old AOL appliances?) because those to who this kind of idea is targeted (power users are not going to bite) don't really need 'adaptable' power in their computers to perform basic tasks for which the recent trend in netbooks and cheap laptop and desktop computers are perfectly fine, and the initial price is amortized quickly.
-Lashiec (January 04, 2009, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

When you consider how most of the major US ISPs are contemplating ways to cancel unlimited internet access plans (now that video-on-demand via the web is becoming workable) renting a PC makes a strange sort of sense. Once the connection is metered, it makes perfect sense to provide the means for every subscriber to rack up data transmissions.

Suppose you order internet through something like Cablevision or AT&T. I can easily see them offering you the choice of either a Tivo-based set box - or a 'vanilla' set box plus a cheap Windows PC as part of their package. We're already used to not owning our set box -  so for many people, it's not that big a mental stretch not to own their PC either.

I can see oldsters, the non-tech crowd, and families without a lot of money giving it serious consideration. Especially if they have kids in school.

Add that to the rosy US economic forecast and it makes even more sense. If people feel they need something that they really can't afford to buy, then they have no choice but to lease. Look at the number of families now leasing secondary cars.

Car leases saved the US Auto industry back in the 90's when their market was maxed-out. Maybe Microsoft and the PC industry feels that rentals are the solution for their own over-saturated market.

zridling:
[Josh]: Wait a minute, you mean the linux KERNEL doesn't have to be re-written correct? I am fairly certain that unless you want to run just the kernel alone, you will have to make a customized distro which includes KDE, Gnome, fluxbox, or whatever WM customized to run on said netbook. Am I wrong?
--- End quote ---
No, Josh, you're correct on that. I should have specified the kernel. KDE and the current GNOME would be pretty heavy handed DE's on a netbook, defeating the whole purpose. If a lightweight, modular Win7 version is built for smaller devices, then that will be fantastic. What I'm seeing with everyone's XP netbooks around me is that they're treating them like a full-blown laptop, wanting to play games, download videos, and do all kinds of things it just isn't designed for.
Again, the only shortcoming I see with your scenario is that PCs -- especially laptops -- are as cheap as they'll ever be. The devil comes out when that leased box/PC needs repair. If a customer gets the same nightmarish treatment that Apple gives its iPhone users, then I think the idea will quickly fail.

40hz:
The devil comes out when that leased box/PC needs repair. If a customer gets the same nightmarish treatment that Apple gives its iPhone users, then I think the idea will quickly fail.
-zridling (January 04, 2009, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. No argument from me on that point.

However, if they provide the same service we get from Cable where I live (i.e. "Box doesn't work? Just swing by the office and pickup a new one.") or satellite (We have both BTW) it just might work.

Obviously MSoft thinks so since they're going through the effort to try and get a patent on something that so obviously shouldn't be patentable. Maybe this is along the same lines as those "pre-emptive patents" OSS is pursuing?

Dunno. Still, I find it pretty interesting how the technology seems to be repositioning itself.

But as long as there's a Linux distro and some hardware components to do up one of my "bespoke boxes,"  I'll be happy. Or at least I'll try to be! :up:

BTW: Re: iPhone - Why does Apple continue to get away with it, no matter what? ;D

<Edit: corrected a minor bit of bad grammar by removing a superfluous "it">

GHammer:
It's already being done in China. You pay a monthly fee, you get a computer with MS OS & apps along with your broadband connection. Seemed like a fair deal for many there. And, there are more people in China who want a computer and have a monthly payment than those who can pony up all at once.

Same country also stands as an example of why MS is not going anywhere soon.
People would rather run "BillGates" edition XP, Vista, and Office than use free alternatives. MS makes halfhearted efforts now and again to discourage that, but never too much. Gotta keep them using until they can afford to pay.

Carol Haynes:
Apple are already doing this with their various lease schemes (at least in the UK) - the difference being that at the end of the lease period you can buy the computer for a nominal sum or get a new system to continue the lease.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version