ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do I get rid of MSN: check out these awesome pics from the awesome party LOL

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
Well, try nudging her in the right direction anyway, telling her that it'll reduce the risk of getting infected or scammed in the future :)

app103:
From my quick research on that original url (the essential part before you changed it), f0dder is absolutely right. There are only a few results (non-english) and the only one that seems to suggest anything as a solution says to just change the MSN password.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcontrolaltvirus.altervista.org%2F%3Fp%3D214

No matter what browser she uses, it won't protect her from doing something stupid like entering her username/pass where she shouldn't even be.

The best antivirus is common sense. Educate her and you'll be providing her with a free upgrade.  :D

btw, I don't use Adblock Plus...I prefer Ad Muncher, since it works with any browser and any application, not just one browser or only browsers. It works with Firefox, IE, Chrome, K-Meleon, Opera, Sleipnir, AOL, Maxthon, and even browsers you never heard of, including whatever browser that might be released tomorrow morning or even a home brewed browser. It even removes ads from MSN, AIM, Yahoo widgets, Yahoo messenger, RSS readers, etc. It's a full system ad blocker. While it does not require the Firefox extension to block ads, it is required if you want the ability to use the Firefox context menu to add a page as an exclusion (otherwise you have to enter it manually from the main application window). Works great with IE and the context menu entries are already there by default, once Ad Muncher is installed.

If she insists on using IE, I would suggest she get Ad Muncher AND either McAfee Site Advisor or WOT (Web Of Trust).

Hirudin:
I consider myself a pretty big computer nerd, and I fell for some Phishing recently... I think.

As a dabbler in several web services I had a Blockbuster Online (BBO) account for a while. One way or another I decided it didn't fit my needs so I canceled it and started up with Netflix again. Well low* and behold I get this e-mail that says something along the lines of "Sign back up with Blockbuster Online and we'll send you $25 to your PayPal account!" I'm 90% sure Blockbuster has actually run promotions like this before, so I didn't think much of it. I was on the fence as to whether I wanted to sign up again so I kept the message.

Well, somehow I remembered the expiration date of the promotion. On the last day I decided to give it a shot. I opened up the e-mail and clicked on the link. I've had Thunderbird warn me of "suspicious" web links, but I'm not sure if that feature was implemented in the version I was using. One way or another, no "hey dummy, this isn't the address you think it is" message popped up. I proceeded to enter my username and password (actually KeePass did) and I clicked the "sign me back up" button.

About 3 minutes later I realized that I didn't actually check the link. When I did check it, I noticed it went to some strange URL (I don't remember what it was). I immediately changed my PayPal password (KeePass' password generator is great) and my BBO password. Then I sent a message to BBO inquiring as to whether it was a legitimate promotion or not, to which I received a canned, unhelpful response.

Anyway, sorry to go off topic... I just figured that I'd try to ease the shame of being phished a little. Show your friend all my nerdy posts if you want :) .

Thanks to the non-helpful BBO e-mail response I'm not even sure it wasn't a real promotion. I did some searching and all I could find was a person from around a year earlier with a similar e-mail, that linked to the exact same domain, that was also wondering about the legitimacy of the whole thing. I was using Firefox at the time, I was pretty disappointed the big, red warning didn't pop up alerting me I was about to do something stupid.

*I have a feeling that's not the correct spelling of "low"

f0dder:
No matter what browser she uses, it won't protect her from doing something stupid like entering her username/pass where she shouldn't even be.-app103 (December 29, 2008, 11:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
FF3 will warn against (already identified) phishing sites, though...

Personally I prefer the FF3/AdBlockPlus to admuncher. Admuncher is payware, does winsock hooking (which might work fine, but isn't my cup of tea), and I only need adblocking in my browser anyway. YMMV :), but FF3+ABP is a really fine combination.

tomos:
*I have a feeling that's not the correct spelling of "low"
-Hirudin (December 30, 2008, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's "Lo" but I couldnt tell you  why :-)

EDIT/ we're talking about the expression "Lo and behold!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version