ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WinXP incredibly slow (and sometimes failing) login

<< < (2/3) > >>

Eóin:
Do you have any mapped network drives? I've seen them stall startups before if there was any connection issues.

Also if the issue is after login then it suggests a user app may be the trouble and not drivers or services. Since such apps are rarely essential you could switch them all off with AutoRuns and should that work then tediously turn them back on to find the culprit.

Carol Haynes:
I think you may have hit the nail on the head - I have just got a new network printer which has a mapped network drive for the built in card reader. It generally tries to connect to that drive and complains during startup- because network hasn't yet been established.

Is there any way of running networking as a service or something similar so that it can be loaded when the login page appears rather than when the user logs in? It is a straightforward router based workgroup network.

Failing that is there any way to unmap the drive? I have a front panel media reader in all my computers so the one in the printer is superfluous unless I want to print direct from the card (unlikely).

4wd:
In any XP installation I do, I always do the following to speed up network browsing:

Network-Disable administrative shares, ($C, etc, etc):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
"AutoShareWks"=dword:00000000
"AutoShareServer"=dword:00000000

Network-Disable restoring mapped network drives on logon:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider]
"RestoreConnection"=dword:00000000

Network-Disable automatic search for network folders and printers:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000001

Network-Disable Look for Remote Tasks, (XP looks for Scheduled Tasks on any network PC you connect to - WHY?????):
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

I also do a few other network tweaks either applied via nlite or a file of reg tweaks.

Obviously, don't apply them unless you know what you're doing, (not directed at anyone just the usual boring disclaimer), and don't apply one if you don't want to disable that functionality.

EDIT: For some reason I had an extra line on the last reg tweak - silly me  :-[

Shades:
Take a look at this site.

This is a site with a lot of registry tweaks for XP. Item 376 in this list is about disabling network shares. Maybe that is your solution.
Although item 399 could also be of interest to you...disabling and enabling the wait for the network.

EDIT:
4wd was just a bit earlier with a similar solution  :)

Carol Haynes:
Thanks guys - I'll have a look and play tomorrow (too tired now - having just spent an hour on the phone sorting out a problem for someone with MS Word).

Actually if it is the Canon drive causing the issue it is easily solved:

Right click on the mapped drive and click Disconnect

The disconnect seems to survive restarts.

Given that I don't want to use the Canon drive for this there seems no harms just ditching it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version