ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tech News Weekly: Edition 52

<< < (2/2)

Lashiec:
Wow, CastleCops closed, that's absolutely awful. I did not hang around the forums, but the wiki was an essential resource for fighting malware. I'm even more astonished to see this did not appear anywhere in my feeds.

* Lashiec subscribes to /.

tomos:
9. Windows XP Allowed to Live Again
But now Microsoft has put in place a scheme that will allow the hardware firms to get hold of XP licences until 30 May 2009.

Previously Microsoft extended XP's life until 2010
--- End quote ---
-
I presume the 2010 date was for support of xp - otherwise article contradicts self (I think :-\)

:) thanks as ever Ethyar  :up:
-tomos (December 28, 2008, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
You skipped the end of that quote tomos. Windows XP can be installed on netbooks and low cost machines until 2010, presumably because MS didn't want to loose that space to Linux as vista is far too resource hungry to be used on those types of machines
-Ehtyar (December 28, 2008, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I managed to miss that in your quote AND in the linked article, ouch!!
thanks for explanation too

Ehtyar:
Hehe, np man :)

Ehtyar.

J-Mac:
I used to spend time at CastleCops. It got tough to stay there, though. For one thing, your starting page was "Your Favorites" and it became tough to find a way to get to the main forum index! Had to go somewhere else and then work your way back up. Next, CastleCops had to be one of the slowest servers on the Internet - and I'm not talking about when under DDOS attack - all the time for the last year or two.

The independent forums were great but a few of the private developer forums were pretty bad - I won't say which.

Thanks for the great news thread, as always, Ehtyar!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version