ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: HTML Organizer/Viewer

<< < (4/4)

rjbull:
The reason for my question was that as I see it Surfulator is designed for grabbing stuff for the web so that you can read/search and store a copy locally. Given that most of the material is grabbed in this way republishing any of it is likely to infringe copyright.
-Carol Haynes (May 08, 2006, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

At work we use a service that interprets copyright so severely that they won't let us store "their" data for more than 90 days   >:(  But I think you're being too sweeping.  Yes, much stuff on the Web is copyright, but much of it is little more than advertising puff they would be pleased for you to disseminate.  I doubt whether anything truly valuable is placed in open view, and having to pay and jump through hoops to get it is likely make you very aware of its status.

Carol Haynes:
I doubt whether anything truly valuable is placed in open view
--- End quote ---

??? Why would anyone even use the web then - and why would anyone want to republish stuff that is of no value.

Actually as I understand it just about everything published on the web is copyright (even if the owners don't know it). A lot of people won't be particularly bothered if you use their stuff but there are many people who design websites (private and commercial) who would be pretty pissed if whole pages or large chunks were lifted and published elsewhere. You only have to read some posts on this forum to realis how annoyed people can get when their stuff is used without permission.

OK advertisers aren't going to gripe as it gets them free advertising but if I was republishing interesting stuff from the web one thing I would do in surfulator is to remove all the crap first!

Example - how would the authors and Mouser feel if all the reviews on this site were lifted wholesale and published elsewhere? In practice Mouser is unlikely to sue anyone for doing it as there isn't a budget for enormous legal fees, but I think a few choice words might be exchanged!

rjbull:
I doubt whether anything truly valuable is placed in open view
--- End quote ---

??? Why would anyone even use the web then - and why would anyone want to republish stuff that is of no value.

Actually as I understand it just about everything published on the web is copyright (even if the owners don't know it). A lot of people won't be
-Carol Haynes (May 08, 2006, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I phrased that badly, and focus on my own uses, but how valuable is valuable?  Most of the stuff I personally save from the Web is pretty much links to software sites, postings from a.c.f. and just occasionally "how to" articles.  To an extent, if I share that with anybody, it'sfree advertising.  I wouldn't bother to lift DC reviews or the like wholesale (unless I was afraid the site would disappear) but I'd just write a quick description and save the link.  Stuff that I would consider very valuable (or at least expensive), like Derwent patent information, I wouldn't share and isn't easily available on the Web even from subscription services.

SleepingWolf:
I know this is an OLD post but I'm interested to know if things have moved on since then. Are there other (maybe better programs) out there now? I think I'm after pretty much the same thing, and I can't believe there aren't many others (especially dial-up users) who save web pages en-masse for later off-line attention.

PPLandry:
There is now InfoQube (www.sqlnotes.net) which seems to do exactly what you want (and more)

Free while in beta (very stable beta)

I'm the designer of InfoQube

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version