ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bad smells ... UPS recommendations ?

<< < (6/8) > >>

xtabber:
I have lousy power - doesn't go out that often, but subject to fluctuations - and two UPSs on 24/7 for two different systems, as well as a Tripp Lite voltage conditioner for laser printer and some peripherals. A Google search for AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) or voltage conditioner  should come up with plenty of options.

The less expensive UPS boxes are standby and kick in when the power goes below a threshold, but don't do anything to condition the power quality and just pass voltage variations through to the devices plugged into them. That's not usually a problem for modern PC power supplies, but it can be for some devices.

In my case, one UPS is an APC 650VA box and the other a Best Power line-interactive UPS. They both have worked well for about 15 years, although the batteries need replacement every 5 years or so. For dirty power the Best unit is better because it puts out a clean constant voltage and also provides diagnostics on the input line quality. Best Power was bought by Eaton a few years ago and incorporated into the Eaton Powerware line, which is available in localized versions in many countries.

f0dder:
Hm, so to be "perfect" you'd need both an UPS and a "voltage massager" kinda thing? I thought the non-silly-extreme-lower-end was more than just a battery :o :o :o

Shades:
I know that electrical installations that are "fed" by windmills require electronic stabilizers (I have to see the first gust of wind that blows a steady 220 volts to electrical appliances).

Condensators of (quite) substantial capacity are required, but they do kill those irregularities on your (electrical) sinus's. I believe I have somewhere the complete mechanical and electrical schematics for a D-I-Y windmill. When I find them I'll let you know.  

johna1940:
I have a CyberPower 1100AVR That I have had so long I had to replace the batteries. They just wore out. Mine hooks up to a serial port to monitor and setup the unit, but I imagine they use USB now.

I recomend CyberPower wholeheartedly. Also, they stand behind their product.

Tinman57:
Thanks xtabber.  I did a search and looked at the APC line of AVR's.  As many APC battery backups that I've bought over the years I would have thought I would have heard about their AVR's.
  Before I can order one I have to pull my 57' HDTV away from the wall and look at the power rating, then add the other components power consumption.  The biggest one they offered is a 1200va, so if I need one larger then I'll have to find one through another company, and probably have to pay way too much......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version