topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: firefox preloader  (Read 6291 times)

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
firefox preloader
« on: December 26, 2008, 04:09 PM »
this  is a useful utility... what it does is that it preloads firefox in the windows startup just like the internet explorer does and firefox starts faster when you launch it...

http://sourceforge.n...projects/ffpreloader

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: firefox preloader
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:32 PM »
It's bullshit saying the IE is preloaded (office is, though).

I wish people would focus on removing the bottlenecks and stupidities from FireFox instead of coming up with symptomatic treatment like this.
- carpe noctem

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:39 PM »
no arguments here as I am not a computer geek...... just slightly better than a novice...... found this relatively new and shared here.....

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 04:54 PM »
don't take it personnally, gorinw13, f0dder is just not much of a fan of the Christmas season, I guess, if I should try to be polite. Just bad luck that Christmas goes on until Easter... they say.

I was using this Preloader from time to time for half a year, but now I have realized that FF is faster WITHOUT the Preloader, because it doesn't take advantage of Vista's superfetch.

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 04:58 PM »

Thanks Curt.... better I uninstall it..... why would I consume more RAM for something not useful..... thanks for the advise.....  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 06:35 AM »
If you are in a situation like me, you will have realized that either your computer has far too little RAM, or maybe you have to many programs, or the programs are simply too slow. Whether be it one or the other reason, I have found that a program like eBoostr actually can do some good in a situation like this! Of course the proper solution is to purchase an even stronger computer, but I already had a license for eBoostr, and my PC only has room for 2x2 GB RAM, so I didn't have to think too hard before activating this artificial memory, eBoostr. I have allocated all of the extra memory to Firefox only. And it works!! Firefox has not become *lightening* fast, but it is though a lot faster than before.

eBoostr 2 for XP and below, eBoostr 3 Beta for Vista. They give you a free temporary license for testing the Beta until February, so go ahead and try if it will work for you as well.

There are of course other solutions than eBoostr.

www.eboostr.com
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:37 AM by Curt »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 08:41 AM »
Sorry if the previous post seemed a bit rude, but I can be somewhat short-headed if I haven't had my morning coffee. And considering the skewed sleep cycle I have, "morning" is pretty arbitrary :) - I am a bit annoyed that people keep pushing the idea that IE is "preloaded" and thus has big advantages over other browsers, which is pretty bullcrap... and pretty easy to debunk on a slow machine, simply check how long a "cold" startup of IE (after a machine reboot) takes, and then how long a "hot" start takes.

Anyway, firefox *is* a pig, and even "hot" starts of it are relatively slow. A lot was fixed with FF3, but it still has a long way to go. On the other hand, IE7 is a lot slower than IE6, so meh.

While I'm a bit skeptic at the idea of a "preloader", some people have used an extension that makes the "close" button of firefox not really terminate, but simply minimize to tray... that obviously eliminates the startup delay. I personally prefer being able to do a clean shutdown/restart though, since I have my machines powered on for long stretches. While there's a lot less memory leaks in FF3 than FF2 had, there's still a bit.
- carpe noctem

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 10:57 AM »

Curt, thanks, I will take a  look at eBoostr and will see how it does....

ok, fodder, no problem, I understand now....

I uninstalled firefox preloader (not firefox itself of course, as I am satisfied with for years even if it consumes RAM or not)....

I have 2Gb RAM but as Curt guessed I have many software installed in the startup... but they are compulsory like incremental realtime backup software, website watcher, notetabpro in the startup, dropbox, logmein etc.... all have some use for me but all add up consuming system resources...