topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New feture request to this wondrful FARR tool  (Read 6206 times)

pruthvi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New feture request to this wondrful FARR tool
« on: December 26, 2008, 02:08 PM »
 Hi Mouser,
    You have done a great job by developing this wonderful tiny tool. Prior to this I was using AcceleRun 1.9 (http://www.svarsoft.com/accelerun.html) which indexes the files on demand. But I found FARR is better. I wish if I can get one more feature in it which is something like Aliases. Actually I install many softwares and later on forget for what purpose I installed that software. Lets say I installed Skype software which I should be able to keyword it to any common name like "Chat tool" using FARR. similarly I have keyword my yahoo messenger also as "Chat tool". so whenever I select radio button "search by Keyword" and type "chat tool", I should get the above 2 application links. Basically it is keyword based search. The other way around can be like providing a combo box which contains keywords. If user selects any item in combo, deliver appropriate data based on that keyword. I know Alias might be also for the same purpose but I found it bit complex to use. Let me know if you want more clarity on it.

Thanks
Raj

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: New feture request to this wondrful FARR tool
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 02:19 PM »
Welcome to the site pruthvi.

First let me say thanks for the kinds words.. and i hear what you are saying -- it needs to be easier or at least clearer to do what you want.

But try this to see how you could do what you want in your example:

• Search for Skype.
  • When you see skype in the results, right click on it and choose "Add to Group Alias.." on bottom.
  • Then then choose "New Alias Group.." at bottom again.
  • Farr will create a new alias group for you and add skype to it.  Just give it a Group Alias Name, like "chat" in the top left box and hit Ok.
  • Now search for Yahoo Messenger.
  • When you see it in results, right click on it, choose "Add to Group Alias.." and select your new "chat" group at top.
  • FARR will add yahoo messenger below skype in the list.  Just click Ok.
  • Now when you want to show these programs, just type: chat
  • And FARR will list the contents of this group of items for you to choose from.

After you get more advanced you can do other things, like customize the labels that are shown for these items (precede items in group with LABEL HERE | path here).

You can also reorder the items in the alias group as you wish, add new ones via drag and drop, change the score of the alias group, or comment items with \\.

pruthvi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 05:41 PM »
Thats cool. I missed to check the right click features.... Many thanks for drawing my attention on it. How about providing a combo or menu whcih contains the list of all alias?

herojoker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:46 AM »
Have you tried agroups?

pruthvi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:15 AM »
Whats agroup? I know Group feature now.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Whats agroup?

it's "agroups"
type in farr for a list (no inverted commas) :)
Tom