topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Multi Photo Quotes  (Read 19868 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2009 Release: Multi Photo Quotes
« on: December 26, 2008, 03:31 AM »
NANY 2009 Entry Information

Application Name Multi Photo Quotes
Version 1.10.01
Short Description Photo and Quotes Screensaver Specialized for Multiple Monitor Systems
Supported OSes WinAll
Web Page https://www.donation...ouser/mpq/index.html
Download Link see page above
System Requirements
  • None; works on single monitor systems too.
Author Mouser

Description
This is a screensaver.  It will let you show your own photos and combine them with random quotes (supports quote book files from my PopupWisdom program and you can add your own).

The most important aspect of this program is that it is being designed mainly for multimonitor systems -- so you will be able to choose how different monitors are treated (photo can span monitors, or show dif photos on different monitors, etc.)

Planned Features
I will probably be adding lots of options to the program eventually, focusing again on the idea of multimonitor stuff.  Some ideas:
  • Support showing date+time fields in customizable ways across dif monitors.
  • Auto panning and zooming of images.
  • Nice effects for fading in and fading out multiple images in sequence.
  • I may include a tool to let people build their own customized screensavers to give to friends
  • Support for single monitors by dividing a monitor up into quadrants

Screenshots
mms_thumb.png
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:08 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Teaser: Multi Photo Quotes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 01:23 AM »
Updated with screenshot and revised to say it works on single-monitor systems too, and changed the name to reflect that it's focused on combining quotes with images.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:12 AM »
This is a nice idea.  :Thmbsup:

Currently I'm using the Picasa Screensaver that fades images from a Picasa album on to my monitors (different images on each and syncopated).

What I miss the Picasa Screensaver (not sure if you're able to include it in MPQ):
  • Display of What's Playing Now: ScreenSaver activates after a definable period of non-use, therefore I'm generally not at the computer, and if I have music playing, I often have to quit the ScreenSaver to see the song I don't quite recognize  :-[. Could the song being played be used instead or in addition to the quotes?
  • Display Current Time:-[ it's the best clock I've got
  • Picsasa (or other Photo Managers) Albums: Or some other method of defining which specific Photos to show (that are generally scattered through many directories): shortcuts?

dcm_rush

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:47 PM »
A couple quick questions. I have a 4 display setup, now. As ridiculous as this may sound Im going to be jumping that to an 8 display system and hard wiring each of the other 4 displays with one in each of the bedrooms. Not all of the monitors are the same size. It was expensive enough putting in the quad 37 HD setup that with the proper screensaver, will bring you awful close to passing out, and leave even my navy friends dizzy. The other displays will kinda be a patchwork array of 20-24 inch displays. (Yes, I know its insane, but I have these 4 pci-e slots and 2 are just being wasted, and what do you do to out do stretching out google earth over 120 inches of HD semicircle, laying on the bed- spinning the mouse wheel and flying through the streets of paris like superman?)
 First I was wondering if it will support any kind of individual profiles. Meaning, could you set each monitor to have a specific run of pictures and quotes that only ran on that monitor?
 Second I was wondering if it could support group profiles. For example, could I have one set of images that was set to stretch out across the 4 displays I have in here, and mirror that image across the other 4 where it fit on the screens, individually, or an independent set of images to play on each group?
 Third, and this one is a stretch, I have a really cool group of screen savers I got at http://sourceforge.n...t/projects/rssavers/ . Would it be possible to split the workload, so to speak, and have one screen saver running on one group and this running on another?  How it would be possible to do, I have no idea, but in theory, I guess nothing is impossible.
 Not a request or anything like that, more like just a curiosity.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Right now i'm just focusing on getting a nicely working skeleton of basic functionality, but which is very flexible for me to extend to do different things.. So most of the things that perry and dcm are asking bout, this program is not going to do yet. but i'm very much designing it so i can add stuff later easily.  being able to set specific options for specific monitors will definitely be one of the things i do.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 12:08 AM »
Multi Photo Quotes v1.10.01 is now up and available for download on the program's web page.

There is a 6mb version with a few lo-res sample photos, and a 60mb version with a bunch of hi-res sample photos.

There are a ton of options, but many more to come in the future.

You can make your own image and quote sets, just browse around in the MpsMedia subdirectory and you should be able to figure it all out.

Hope it's useful to someone -- let me know any bugs you find.  :up:

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Multi Photo Quotes
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:10 AM »
Mentioned on gHacks today... Multi Monitor Screensaver :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Multi Photo Quotes
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 05:20 AM »
very cool.. i've been working hard on it this last week or so.