ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Calendar Math, which language to use?

(1/4) > >>

vixay:
Hey all,

I have a curious problem, and i was wondering if you have any insight on how this can be solved.

We have a rule at our office to have every 1st and 3rd saturday off for each month. And occasionally i need to do some arbitrary calendar math as well. I was wondering if there's any software out there (or a scripting language) that has excellent support for this? For example... If I should type

Print (1st Saturday of each month in 2009)
output: 2009-01-03, 2009-02-07 ...etc.
or calendar output: Show the calendar with all the selected dates circled/highlighted.

Select (Last Weekend (Sat & sun) of each month in 2009)

...etc.

Have any of you come across any such program, scripting language ...etc? That makes calendar/date manipulation easY? As a bonus if it could display calendars with the operations it would be great!

housetier:
Wow quite a challenge! I wonder if something will turn up, and how much it will cost  :o

f0dder:
You'll definitely want something with decent calendar support (which rules JAVA out, imho :P) - and involving a scripting language (for easily and rapidly updating calendar rules without having to re-build the app) sounds like a really good idea. Personally I'd start by looking a bit at JavaScript, since it's one of those things I haven't gotten around to using yet. I know it has date routines, but dunno how easy they are to use.

I assume your target OS is Windows, and Windows comes with a calendar control by default. it's not superfancy (it's the same you get when you doubleclick the clock in the tray notification area), but at least it's somewhere to start.

kovi2:
Would a webservice or a webpage be useful for you? In the next weeks I'm planning to start my page with some interesting features. This could be one of them.

Btw. your questions can easily be answered with Mathematica (maybe not a usual choice for this, but I do almost everything in Mathematica :))
Eg. the first one: {{2009,1,3},{2009,2,7},{2009,3,7},{2009,4,4},{2009,5,2},{2009,6,6},{2009,7,4},{2009,8,1},{2009,9,5},{2009,10,3},{2009,11,7},{2009,12,5}}

Curt:
If your company has a server with PHP, you can set up iZeit as you please

http://www.izeit.nu/
http://www.izeit.nu/features

Repeating events

Similar to Microsoft Outlook, each event can be assigned an interval with which it recurs. Extensive patterns are available, allowing you to set an item to recur on the nth day of each month, every other thursday, or virtually any other conceivable pattern.-iZeit
--- End quote ---
Edited:
free, but donations are asked for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version