topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Very nice 'first look' review of openSUSE 11.1 (Linux)  (Read 9184 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very nice 'first look' review of openSUSE 11.1 (Linux)
« on: December 22, 2008, 06:43 AM »
The latest round of Linux distros (versions) are just about complete, and DistroWatch has a 'first look' review of openSUSE 11.1 in its weekly news section.

11_1_install_006_reference.jpg

I've been working with openSUSE all weekend and I was impressed with every part of it. All the software I could ever want in available. openSUSE is most popular on the continent. Like Fedora 10, I'm happy to see that openSUSE took chances and got it right. (Wake up Canonical, you're falling behind fast!) Even Novell's flavor of OpenOffice 3 is far better than their 2.4 version. Being Microsoft-free, I don't need their built-in proprietary formats. openSUSE's stability and noticeable improvement on speed are welcome, and being able to encrypt your HD during installation is a nice touch. My ATI 4850 radeonHD drivers were installed at setup.

However, here are the caveats: (1) Fedora 10 seems to have done a better job with KDE 4, if for no other reason, more of the desktop's features are available; (2) Fonts were terrible on my 1900x1200 display, but that was easily corrected; (3) Customizing software package installation at setup was tedious, and like the partition view, did not give you a single view of what you were installing; (4) Loved the partition screen, but there really should be a simpler version. You either had to go with their auto-selected choices (which were not previewed), or pick what looked like an expert mode. I was left confused, but somehow I got it right.

As the author states, you really won't go wrong with 11.1, and it's a solid major version you can sit on for as long as you want.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:15 AM by zridling »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Very nice 'first look' review of openSUSE 11.1 (Linux)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Fonts were terrible on my 1900x1200 display, but that was easily corrected

Were the fonts too small on such resolution or was this the hack-X-to-96-dpi workaround everybody bugged about last year?
I've often figured that if I got tired of Ubuntu I'd move to Suse, but so far I haven't been annoyed that badly. Nice to see a good review of it.