topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Cannot open Paint on Vista  (Read 22980 times)

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cannot open Paint on Vista
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 04:16 PM »
.xpi is the extension for Mozilla addons. Place the file in the folder C > Program Files > Mozilla Firefox, and then open Firefox > Files > Open file... , and navigate to & open the same file, and it will install as an addon in Firefox.

You don't need to move the XPI file to Mozilla first - simply use File > Open File and the installation will move it to your profile folder automatically.

Hi Carol,
no, this file would not open until I opened it in FF. The dialog box looked different: instead options to Run or Save, my options were Find or Save. Find as in, find a program online to open it. This was in IE, and I don't user any d/l managers or anything, if this helps.
-Sarah

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Yes, I guessed you were on IE. But IF you had been using Firefox, you would have seen Firefox install the file ONLINE, simply by you opening the file when it asks you what should happen. This is a very fine feature.

Further more, as Carol said, you don't HAVE to have the file placed in the Mozilla folder, if you choose to download it (which you shouldn't, if you met it at Mozilla's), because Firefox will place it the proper place, if you open it via FF's "Files > Open...".

Now remember to hang up a sock of yours tonight, Sarah. Preferably by the fireplace  :-)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Santa's already been here (came early to avoid the rush) ... now my organgutan is playing with his train set (I jest not):

hogan.jpg

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 09:21 PM »
And we spent the afternoon running one of these up and down our driveways so that our guests could get to the house.
GetMeOut.jpg

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 06:17 AM »
... now my organgutan is playing with his train set (I jest not):

I don't handle the English language too well, but shouldn't it be "organ gut san"?  :-\

---

Yeah, I know, I am not too good with jokes, either. But Merry Christmas, anyway!  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 08:59 AM »
My Paint has begun working again!  :Thmbsup:
- however, I don't know WHY! :-[

@ Sarah, you might want to open your task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and see if "WindowsMediaPlayer-NetworkSharingConfiguration-something" is running. Mine was, which I don't understand. The "NetworksharingService" should (probably) be running, but not the Configuration thingy. Anyway, I closed it, and right-clicked msPaint.exe (in the task manager),> "Properties", and stumbled my way around in the box that came up. I didn't change anything, I merely clicked this and that - OKay'ed and closed the box and the task manager, and started Paint. And voila! Now Paint is running as it should. Also after rebooting. But I don't know WHY this helped, because the strange configuration thingy is now running again but paint is still working.