ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Last second home-made gift ideas: HELP!!!

<< < (4/6) > >>

Davidtheo:
Good list, I'll probably draw a (complex but bad) family portrait or something :P
-wreckedcarzz (December 21, 2008, 07:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wreckedcarzz

I was thinking along the same lines, a family photo would always go down well with grandparents and  the family, its cheap and can be done on the computer. :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical:
You know, if you choose to print a relevant photo as a gift, that can be greatly enhanced by framing it nicely.
Assuming that you don't have picture frame on hand, or the tools and the time and the material to create some, a trip to your local Dollar Store can be quite rewarding.
The dollar store that's local to me carries a range of frames that would improve any photo from 4" x 6" to 8" x 10".
They're priced at -- you guessed it -- $1.
So, for a buck, some printer ink and a sheet of decent photo paper you wind up with a nicely-presented photo that's tuned to the recipient. Personalized and polished. I bet your sister could help you fit the pics into the frames so that you'd have a nice joint-venture gift for each lucky recipient.

Another idea would be to print up a fancy voucher that the recipient can 'cash in' for an hour of your time, to be applied to a chore of the recipient's choosing.

I, too, think the flip-book idea is great.

Nod5:
1. Bake some cookies that you can easily customize the shape of (like thin gingerbread cookies). Make a custom cookie for each person in the shape of some object that reminds you of that person. So if one of them is a pro bowler, make a round cookie and add three dots of icing (to depict the holes). And so on for the other persons.

2. Write a fun quiz to play when you all get together. There are many ready-to-use quiz questions to be found on the web already. Mix in some questions that relates to the people that will be present or other persons you all know. This can be very entertaining if you can think of some funny (but not awkward) details that perhaps not everyone will right away know or remember ("what animal was uncle Edward bitten by in the summer of 1978? A: snake, B: donkey, C: shark"). This can generate many laughs and stories. After you've run through the quiz, hand out a small, symbolic price to the winner.

Fred Nerd:
I find if you can do anything with wood carving, it always goes down well with anyone above the age of really young.
If you take a nice peice of board, then trace something like a horse on it (just use Google images until you find something which works as a line drawing), draw the horse and surrounds in black paint (oil based) then laquer the whole lot. Takes a couple of hours, cost nothing much of you have scrap board and a bit of laquer floating around...... Looks excellent, and it lasts.

app103:
This is how you make fabric yo-yos: http://sewing.about.com/od/embellishment/ss/basicyoyo.htm

It's so easy a young child can make them. You can use any scrap fabric you have, from worn out jeans, to messed up dress shirts, to stuff you outgrew a few years ago.

Just gather the fabric together, and while one starts cutting the circles, the other can start sewing them.

When you have a bunch made, take a look at what you can make with them:

a bookmark:

placemats & doilies:

dolls:

a Christmas tree:

A quilt:

a keychain:

and there is a bunch more things here: http://www.needlepointers.com/ShowArticles.aspx?NavID=1385

And if you are smart, you will keep making the yo-yo circles long after Christmas is over, storing them for the next time you need to make a gift. And if you run out of cool stuff to make, just search Google for fabric yo-yo projects

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version