topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a bootable Linux drive imager...  (Read 7220 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for a bootable Linux drive imager...
« on: December 20, 2008, 10:53 PM »
Does anyone know of a bootable Linux image that does nothing but backup/restore drive images?

ie. A minimal Linux kernel that boots into AIR for example.

I succumbed to buying an Aspire One, (8GB SSD model but it was cheap!), and I'd like a easy way to swap between OS's using a 2GB flash drive.

It came with Linpus Lite, I've since installed a minimal XP Pro, but after setting them both up the way I want I'd like to be able to image both systems to a 2GB flash drive and then restore whichever as needs require.

When I've saved up enough money I'll probably stick a 1.8" HDD in it but until then.......

So, any ideas?

TIA

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a bootable Linux drive imager...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:38 AM »
Try ClonezillaLive. It can be run from either a CD or flash drive.

Info and instructions:  http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/

About Clonezilla Live

Clonezilla server edition is used to clone many computers simultaneously. It is an extremely useful tool, however, it does have several limitations. In order to use it, you must first prepare a DRBL server AND the machine to be cloned must boot from a network (e.g. PXE/Etherboot). To address these limitations, the Free Software Lab at the NCHC has combined Debian Live with Clonezilla to produce "Clonezilla Live," a new software that can be used to easily clone individual machines. The primary benefit of Clonezilla Live is that it eliminates the need to set up a DRBL server ahead of time and the need for the computer being cloned to boot from a network. Clonezilla Live can be used to clone individual computers using a CD/DVD or USB flash drive. Though the image size is limited by the boot media's storage capacity, this problem can be eliminated by using a network filesystem such as sshfs or samba.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:01 AM »
Try ClonezillaLive. It can be run from either a CD or flash drive.

I did think of that but according to the FAQ it doesn't do compression which kind of makes it a bit hard trying to squeeze two images on to a 2GB flash drive.

ie. The current XP install takes approx 939MB but compresses to under 500MB, the Linpus installation is even bigger and I want to get it into the remaining space on the flash drive.

This is why I referenced AIR, it can do GZIP and BZIP compression.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 04:06 PM »
In that case:

SelfImage: http://selfimage.excelcia.org/

SelfImageMain.png

Their website claims it can be used for NIX. Can't personally vouch for it with Linux partitions since I've only used it for Windows imaging.

SelfImage can even create images of partitions that Windows doesn't recognize (partitions that Windows doesn't have mounted on a drive letter).  This is perfect for the dual-boot system, you can create an image backup of a Linux partition directly from Windows.

Download link: http://www.excelcia...._op=getit&lid=66

-----------------------------

If you want to have SelfImage on a bootable CD, you'll have to do a little tinkering first.

Fortunately, SelfImage is one of the tools included on the most excellent Ultimate Boot CD for Windows - so it won't be too hard.

Information, build how-to's, and downloads for UBCD4Win are available from this link:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/  8)

Let us know how you make out!  :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:08 PM by 40hz »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:53 AM »
In that case:

SelfImage: http://selfimage.excelcia.org/

Thanks for the suggestions 40hz but I also looked at SelfImage, the problem with that is it requires Windows.

So to get the use of one program I'd have to create a minimal BartPE which would still end up being well over 100MB in size, (the Aspire One has no ODD or even HDD, so the space would have to come from the 2GB flash) - rather a bit of overkill for something as simple, (relatively speaking), as a drive imaging program.

I was almost about to use either Damn Small Linux or PuppyLinux and end up with a fully functioning OS with applications as a side product but in the midst of all the chaff I found PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost).

Hopefully this will be exactly what I'm after.

Thanks once again for the suggestions, I probably should have been a bit more specific in my initial question or just asked for a freeware replacement for the DOS version of Ghost, (the version I have doesn't seem to support Linux filesystems).

EDIT: Typical!  As soon as I find a suitable program, (which works rather well), someone comes out with a program for the Aspire One - Acer Aspire One Backup.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:39 AM by 4wd »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Very cool find.

Typical!  As soon as I find a suitable program, (which works rather well), someone comes out with a program for the Aspire One

Could be worse. Suppose you couldn't find a suitable program, and then nobody came out with Acer Aspire One Backup either?  ;D

Glad it all worked out.