topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bug Issue v1.05.02  (Read 13662 times)

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bug Issue v1.05.02
« on: November 27, 2005, 11:11 AM »
I just downloaded and installed CHS.  It looks promising.  Of all the clipboard programs out there this one is the most useful without taking over your cut and paste operations.  I like how it works in the background.  The bug.  The program will not start minimized with windows even though the boxes are checked and I have a current license.  Observations:
Checking the boxes Start with windows and Start minimized creates an entry in MSCONFIG startup
Upon startup the CHS icon appears in the system tray but near the end of the startup procedure the icon disappears and CHS starts maximized
The entry that was in MSCONFIG startup is now gone and the boxes Start with windows and Start Maximized are unchecked

Is there a way to correct this?  TIA
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bug Issue v1.05.02
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 11:16 AM »
someone else reported this problem also, though your clues are more detailed and intriguing.
someone suggested earlier that it might be due to the use of an alternative startup program.. do you have some special tool you are using to run programs on startup of computer?

with your clues im going to search and see if i can find what it might be.. the fact that the checkboxes are unchecking is a very good clue and may be all i need to fix the problem.. ill report later today.

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 11:29 AM »
I just run a normal startup no alternative programs.  Thank you, 
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 11:44 AM »
what operating system do you run?

other than the start with windows and start minimized, does the program otherwise appear to be working ok when it starts with windows this way?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 11:46 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 12:09 PM »
can you try this version. it's just a new exe - exit from tray and replace old exe with this one.
https://www.donation...oardHelpAndSpell.exe

if you would prefer a full installer i can upload that instead.

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 02:35 PM »
Ok I replaced the exe file checked the boxes and restarted same deal it starts to start minimized but then it runs maximized.  I did notice one more thing.  Usually if I add something to my start menu I'll get a warning from CounterSpy asking me if I want to do that.  I addded two progrmas to my start menu yesterday and only got the warning from one.  At no time does counterspy give me the warning which means for some reason the system is not seeing it even though the entry is in startup.  Hope this makes sense.  A crutch could be a registry hack to always start minimized than I could manually add it to my startup folder. 
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 02:41 PM »
if you don't mind i'd rather you not find a fix :)
more important for me to figure out what is causing this strange behavior.

question: are any of the options in the options dialog set to what you set them to, or do they all get reset when it starts up this way?

what operating system do you have, winxp win2k, 98, me?

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 02:48 PM »
I'm using XP Pro.  The only options i changed were the startup options
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 03:01 PM »
The program works fine except for the startup issue.  I can really see the possibilities of this program.  I really think it has to do with the fact that counterspy is not seeing it being added to my start folder.  Like i said I installed 2 programs and only got the one warning.  CHS so far has not generated the warning.  Does the program do this for you?   
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 03:05 PM »
the program starts up minimized for me fine and i also use windows xp.  the fact that those checkboxes are not checked are the biggest surprise for me.  maybe you wouldnt mind trying to change a lot of options and restarting it and seeing if it resets all of the settings.

also would be very useful to hear if you exit and restart before rebooting and see if the start minimized stuff works then.

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 03:10 PM »
Ok one thing I noticed on the new file you sent is that everytime the program starts I get the windows box like i am istalling the program for the 1st time.  But exiting and starting keeps the boxes checked
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 03:11 PM »
it added an entry to msconfig too
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 03:29 PM »
could you please send the old exec file.  I deleted the old one by mistake and at least that one does not display the run box at every startup.  Thanks
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 04:59 PM »
Latest development, I decided to exit the program from the system tray, I deleted the new exe you sent and reinstalled the program and viola it works great now.  When the options came up all 3 boxes start with windows, start minimized, and remember last configuration were checked.  Starts now just fine.  I have no idea why.  Great program though and a great site.  I will send a donation.  Thank you,
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 05:36 PM »
I noticed one more issue.  When saving an item the window title is consistently the preceeding active window.
ex I am on active window titled Bug Issue I go to another site and the active window is entitled AMC Forum.  I save something from this site but the title is Bug Issue.  Any fix?   
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 05:28 PM »
I hate to keep telling you about problems but after spending the day with the program here is what I found:
Program will not remember settings ie change Keep this many backups from 5 to 2 and on restart defaults to 5
Program will not display system tray balloons the sound works but no balloon (caracter count)
Program only displays files in new folder they will go to old even by manually clicking the now button in settings
Program titles the window with the previous window title.  see previous post
Maybe I have a bad install and maybe will try an uninstall reinstall and see if it helps.   
I'm hoping you want feedback.  I install a lot of utilities looking to make things easier.  I go through them and try them out.  I am not being critical.  If it's me I'll reinstall but if the program has some bugs you should be aware.
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:30 PM by theamcguy »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 06:11 PM »
chs is one of the newer and more complex programs on the site - the bug reports are very much appreciated and will be treated very seriously.  as i've said before, anyone taking the time to report bugs deserves to have these bugs fixed.

i will respond to these in the next couple of days as i have a chance to test them all and report back; i'm worried that part of the problem with the program not keeping your settings is related to it not starting minimized - namely that it may not be saving its values properly.  maybe it's being run as non-administrative account or doesnt have permissions to save a file in its folder?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 07:32 PM »
regarding balloons, do you have any other programs that display balloon information so you can be sure its chs and not that you have balloon text turned off on your windows (some people do); also remember that the main chs window should be closed when you activate the count function.

theamcguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 08:08 PM »
Your right I do have it turned off.  Forgot that.  I'll use the box then.  Simple solutions sometimes.   
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC