ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HowTo find ALMOST empty audio files?

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
For a couple of months I have been using a DRM-remover+converter, to transform ten thousand locked WMA files into free MP3 files. There were no problems when I did this on the old XP, but when I purchased this new Vista, I had to cut down on expenses for a while. One of the tricks, I thought, was to run the giveaway programs, that I had on the old XP, off the backup drive. It seemed to go well, but now I have discovered that several of the audio files are damaged: they are almost empty but not all empty. Because they are not all empty I really have no program that will offer to find them. And I am not going to search for them manually...

So my question is: How to find ALMOST empty audio files in a large collection of folders and subfolders?
Perhaps there even is a program that can do it automatically?
 :tellme:

----

the thumb is for your eyes and pleasure only, "Concentration" © Swamibu (Flickr):

HowTo find ALMOST empty audio files?

zridling:
I've no idea short of an MD5 checksum file comparing the empty file to the valid/original file. Until you listened to the song, how would you -- or a program -- know that it is damaged or has the end cut short?

Grorgy:
you could do it with something like Locate, tell it to search for all mp3 (or whatever) and choose the maximum size, it will return a list for you.

Curt:
the only thing I can think of myself is that no music files in this directory should be any smaller than a couple of MB. The shortest I can think of was a little piece by Elvis, 43 seconds, which took up 1.4 MB. Are there any program to search a directory & delete files smaller than 2 MB?

And this is just what Grorgy was telling me to do while I was typing ;-)

you could do it with something like Locate, tell it to search for all mp3 (or whatever) and choose the maximum size, it will return a list for you.
-Grorgy (December 20, 2008, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Curt:
oh, and Vista can do all this, without the need of another program!
Well, well, suddenly I think a lot more of this system!  :D 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version