ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Photography Questions

(1/3) > >>

Josh:
OK Community, you haven't failed me yet, let's see if the record can be upheld. My wife is about to start school for a BFA (Followed by a masters of fine arts) in photography. As such, the initial set of classes is where she will be making a major purchase of her equipment which will be used throughout the course. The pre-reqs call for the following:

* Adobe Photoshop CS2/CS3 (I am actually buying CS4 since I can get the student copy of CS4 Extended Edition for 199)
* DSLR Camera with interchangeable lenses. The lens it comes with MUST have a focal length of 18-55mm. I was looking at the Canon EOS 40d which seems to have all she needs and will be a decent system for her use throughout the course (Or until they require us buy more lenses, etc)
* Light Meter (No specification on type, just a light meter). I am going with the Sekonic L-308S
* Colorimeter - Corrects and adjusts coloring on your system monitor. The school recommends Spyder 2 Express
* Tripod - We have decided on the Velbon DF-40 which has the support for 10lbs of weight. The school calls for one which supports at least 11lbs, but we cannot find one which is anywhere near what I would consider a resonable price.
Now, that said, I would like your input on the camera system, tripod and light meters. The camera, from what I can tell, appears to be a good choice to last at least half way through, if not all the way, her college class set for the next 4-5 years. Are there better options, if so what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Why do you recommend them? Ditto for the light meter and tripod. The colorimeter is the one the school recommends on their site so we are going with that one.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

rjbull:
Tripod - I use a Manfrotto (probably Bogen to you?) 055.  It's a good solid tripod, but by the time you've added a head, FLM CB38FT in my case, plus Manfrotto quick release, it weighs about 6 lb, which she might find too heavy.  Tripod is rated for 7 kg, though, more than your specification.  There's someone on eBay UK who sells ex-demo Velbon carbon fibre tripods, which might get the price and weight down.  My "photo guru" in Wales says the Velbon magnesium ball  head is very good - I think he means the bigger one.  Don't skimp on a tripod: it's not just about stability and sharpness, it's about slowing you down, making you think, and giving you the chance to look all round the edges for the little things that ruin your composition.  In other words, wherever it's reasonably possible to use a tripod, use it to help you make the most perfect picture you can make.  Take a look at some of Freeman Patterson's books, especially the instructional ones, for advice on tripods, including what to look for in a tripod you travel with as well as use in a studio.

Meter - the Sekonic is popular and seems OK and to work well, though I haven't used one.  I have an old Weston, great with Invercone for reasonable light, and a Gossen Digital Sixtomat Flash, which is excellent, small, light and easy to use.  They no longer make the flash version but only the ambient-light one, fine if you don't want flash, or the more expensive Digipro F that I haven't tried.  I recently bought a secondhand Pentax Digital Spotmeter but haven't had much experience with it yet.  It was very popular model with the Zone System brigade.

tomos:
have you checked out that lens -  it might be worth buying lens separately (even if you mightn't stick with the camera) - well, research it anyway.

here's one site
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php
it's affiliated with
http://www.imaging-resource.com/
which is my first stop for camera reviews (they review full range of cameras - pro included)

one of the camera forums might be good place to post if you havent already
(above or steve's digicams http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/ )

Dormouse:

* DSLR Camera with interchangeable lenses. The lens it comes with MUST have a focal length of 18-55mm. I was looking at the Canon EOS 40d which seems to have all she needs and will be a decent system for her use throughout the course (Or until they require us buy more lenses, etc)-Josh (December 20, 2008, 12:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Whatever anyone says, it's best not to choose a camera without trying it in hand, trying the control system (buttons and menus) etc. Some people adjust quickly from one system to another, some find one system much more intuitive than others. How the camera feels, size etc also makes a difference. We all do better with a camera that feels right.

Also worth looking at photos made with the different systems by 'ordinary' photographers. All makes produce good cameras, but color tones and the general look of a photo vary in a significant way - even if you shoot raw and do a lot of PP.

Once decent (ie expensive) lenses are bought, that becomes an extra disincentive to change makes. So buying the brand that feels best at the beginning is worth the effort. There does tend to be a consistency within each brand in the types of body, control systems and tones etc. And remember, in the end, most photographers end up with far more money invested in lenses than in camera bodies.

At the very least, I'd try Canon, Nikon and Sony (all likely to be around long-term; Canon and Nikon well-established; Sony fast expanding market share from its Minolta/Sony base); and I'd also try to look at Pentax and Olympus, though they'd have to feel very attractive to make me go with their systems at this stage). All capable of producing good photos.

I assume that it doesn't have to be an 18-55 lens, just one that covers that range?

Josh:
That is correct, only has to cover the 18-55 range. Right now, I am being pushed in the Sony direction but from what I read, the quality at higher exposure levels (ISO Levels) tends to be a bit noisy when compared to the somewhat more expensive canon. We were looking at the Sony A200 and the Canon 40d.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version