topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Autoscroll capture still needs work  (Read 4293 times)

dmorris68

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Autoscroll capture still needs work
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Normally, SC works great.  It even works well for a lot of auto-scroll captures too.  I still get the ugly flashing black regions, but everything is restored after the capture.  However sometimes, and this bit me again today, it looks like it's going through the auto-scroll motions as it should, but the resulting capture is incorrect.

Today, I had reason to capture an image of my Spam folder view from GMail.  At first I thought it captured fine, but then looked closer and noticed otherwise.  After several attempts, I would always get one of two results:  either it would only capture the visible region and not the hidden region, or it captured the visible portion of the region, and the bottom few hundred pixels, but everything in between was missing.  To illustrate this latter case with some crude text, given a scrolling region laid out like so (with the bold lines being visible, the rest scrolled out of view):

AAAAA
BBBBB
CCCCC

DDDDD
EEEEE
FFFFF
GGGGG
HHHHH

what I get when i capture is something like

AAAAA
BBBBB
CCCCC
GGGGG
HHHHH

Make sense?  I suppose I could work up a graphic or post the actual screenshot, but I figured that would get the point across.  :)

BTW I tried it in both IE7 and FF3, running XP Pro SP3.  I also tried starting the capture from the bottom and middle of the scroll region.  Starting at the top usually resulted in only the top visible region captured.  Starting at bottom or middle gave the result with the middle content missing.

EDIT: Slight correction and clarification:  upon further examination, it always captures some of the very bottom of the region.  When I start the capture from the top of the region, it includes maybe the bottom 200 pixels (rough estimate) of the scroll region.  When starting at the bottom or middle, it captures maybe twice as much from the bottom, perhaps 400 pixels.  This is at a total vertical resolution of 1200 pixels.  In both cases everything between that and the topmost portion is missing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:33 PM by dmorris68 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Autoscroll capture still needs work
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:48 AM »
thanks for the report and sorry for the late reply..  can you see if its just happening in gmail or all websites.. if its just gmail then it may simply be some dynamic stuff that is confusing screenshot captor.

dmorris68

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Autoscroll capture still needs work
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Well, I just tried again and can't reproduce the problem.   :-[

All I can say is when I first reported it, I had tried numerous times with both browsers, resizing the browsers to different widths to change the height of the scrollable region, and it happened every time.  Don't know if SC was in some confused state that a reboot apparently cleared up, or if Gmail changed their dynamic code.

Either way, disregard the report for now.  If it happens again, I'll update this thread.  Thanks!