ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft Update. Worth it?

(1/2) > >>

Lashiec:
With the recent truckload of patches for every software package produced by Microsoft, and the impossibility of tracking patches for the Office viewers, I was wondering if Microsoft Update has been fixed during the past couple of years, and as such, it can be used without fear of seeing the old issues creeping up. I recall we discussed these same issues in the forum, but I can't find the right thread.

mouser:
i use it.

Josh:
What issues are you referring to? What do you mean fixed? I have been using it for several years without any issues. It has worked every time and I seem to get every patch I need.

J-Mac:
Well, let's see...

Maybe the notorious Windows Genuine Advantage fiasco, for which Microsoft subsequently offered confusing and conflicting MSKB articles on how to disable the "call home" part of it?

And then last summer there were the ominous "stealth updates", which rendered peoples' computers unable to do an XP Repair installation.

Those two come to mind the quickest.

Jim

f0dder:
I've used Windows Update since day one, and have never had a problem with it myself.

At the museum, a couple of computers got flagged as "OMG! PIRATE COPY!" (even though they weren't) by WGA, but that's really a problem with WGA and not WU as I see it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version