ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to make an external HD SHUT UP?!?!

<< < (2/2)

wreckedcarzz:
o_O rubber band idea might work... I don't have any shelves though. The cabinent has 3 levels - bottom, w/ keyboard tray and (removed) writing tray, monitor area (where tower/monitor/speakers/external HD is), and an upper level where I toss all my random stuff. I might find a way to pull it off (hooks attached to bottom of top level?). Dunno yet.

It was originally on my carpet floor, but I don't have a patch of carpet available. We had carpet samples, but my mom threw them out recently (I'm looking around the house with my dad for any unused carpet, we have 2 large 3'x3' sections, but that's a bit too large for 2"x6"). That's a good idea though, and one that I didn't think of (I moved it off of carpet, but didn't think to use carpet again).

We don't have any gelatin-like stuff, though, so that's out.

Things to try: Carpet section, hooks+rubber bands.

Darwin:
"Have you tried staples?"

Sorry, couldn't resist - completely out of context, but one of my favourite movie quotes (an update of "A Christmas Carol" starting Bill Murray as a top TV executive. His network is putting on a lavish Christmas special and for reasons that escape me a woman is trying to tie little antlers on mice...).

Back on topic: have you tried a face cloth or a hand towel? I'd carefully fold a handtowel up and then use a couple of hefty elastic bands to attach it securely to the HD, preferably in the vertical orientation and see if that helps. Elastic bands are optional, of course, but the towel should isolate the drive from your cabinet enough to dampen the vibration.

Darwin:
PS I'd also consider getting a powered USB hub and connecting the drive to that when needed. I'm very leary of leaving a USB harddrive connected and powered fulltime... even 3.5" jobbies (too many bad experiences).

wreckedcarzz:
Yea, I'll bug my mom for an old washcloth or something if I can't get ahold of any carpet.

Powered USB hub = UPS for USB? Right now I am using EVERY USB port except ONE in the front/top (inconvenient to get to, iPod cable BARELY fits, if that gives you an idea how close this is) along with 2 open on a USB hub (ironically, the USB hub takes a USB port...). I'd rather get a normal UPS first, seeing as I'm still on the "old fashioned" power-strip-only setup.

Scannie sent me an app, revoSleep, that might help, but it has a disclaimer that if your HD dies and/or explodes and/or activates SkyNet, your the sole person responsible. Not really... comforting. (It's something, though)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version