topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to make an external HD SHUT UP?!?!  (Read 4716 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to make an external HD SHUT UP?!?!
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:05 PM »
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

That's the sound my external HD is making. No, there is no damage to the drive - I love the thing, its in perfect condition (although a bit fragmented I assume). I recently moved my computer BACK from it's makeshift desk area (aka the tower of dead computers/cases with my PC on top) into my computer cabinet, once again, spewing hot air back at me (its winter, so it works). But I also have a new external HD that I use for backups - and the cable is about 18" long (1/2 meter?). Too short to stay in it's current position. So, logically, I moved it behind my monitor, inside of the cabinet. Out of sight, out of mind, into ear, teen-programmer-goes-axe-murderer.

I don't know WHY it's making such an annoying noise - my dad's WD "MyBook" 500GB drive doesn't, but this is a Maxtor 250GB One Touch III - and I don't really care why; but I *really* need suggestions on how to make this thing ST*U before I go nuts. I have used HD quieting cases before for internal drives, but I'm looking for something (preferably free, but anything at all is more than welcome) that will quiet this thing down (unplugging/bashing into wall excluded). :wallbash:

Thoughts? Anything?

Last second thought: It *just* (I mean literally as I went to hit "Post") turned itself off due to idling - is there a software that'll do that as SOON as read/write to the drive has "ended"? That might do it...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to make an external HD SHUT UP?!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Unhelpful answer: Unplug it.

Semihelpful answer: Make sure it's firmly situated and not vibrating itself to death.

Totally helpful answer: [Error! Not found!]

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:40 PM »
Does it have an internal fan?  If so is that still mounted in a vibration-free manner?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:59 PM »
No fan - it is your basic HD within an enclosure (one large unit, warranty void if opened, bla bla). No cooling other than passive (holes @ bottom). :-\

It is sitting fine on the wood surface that is my cabinet, and no matter whether it is vertical or horizontal (designed for either) it makes the SAME noise. :'(

Also, unplugging it would be a somewhat viable suggestion, but I need about 3" more width (desk space, that is) than I have now, so I would have to move my speakers, rotate my monitor, turn the HD around, unplug, and reverse (minus the plugging back in) to get back to work/play on the computer. (I'm continuing to complain @ parents for a real desk)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:01 AM by wreckedcarzz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Put it on top of a suitable vibration-dampening material, like a square of thick pile carpeting or a large Ziploc baggie full of some sort of gelatinous material. Double-bagged to guard against leakage, of course.
Or you could suspend it from a shelf with large rubber bands or springs (an old audiophile trick for isolating turntables).

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:52 PM »
o_O rubber band idea might work... I don't have any shelves though. The cabinent has 3 levels - bottom, w/ keyboard tray and (removed) writing tray, monitor area (where tower/monitor/speakers/external HD is), and an upper level where I toss all my random stuff. I might find a way to pull it off (hooks attached to bottom of top level?). Dunno yet.

It was originally on my carpet floor, but I don't have a patch of carpet available. We had carpet samples, but my mom threw them out recently (I'm looking around the house with my dad for any unused carpet, we have 2 large 3'x3' sections, but that's a bit too large for 2"x6"). That's a good idea though, and one that I didn't think of (I moved it off of carpet, but didn't think to use carpet again).

We don't have any gelatin-like stuff, though, so that's out.

Things to try: Carpet section, hooks+rubber bands.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 04:04 PM »
"Have you tried staples?"

Sorry, couldn't resist - completely out of context, but one of my favourite movie quotes (an update of "A Christmas Carol" starting Bill Murray as a top TV executive. His network is putting on a lavish Christmas special and for reasons that escape me a woman is trying to tie little antlers on mice...).

Back on topic: have you tried a face cloth or a hand towel? I'd carefully fold a handtowel up and then use a couple of hefty elastic bands to attach it securely to the HD, preferably in the vertical orientation and see if that helps. Elastic bands are optional, of course, but the towel should isolate the drive from your cabinet enough to dampen the vibration.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 04:09 PM »
PS I'd also consider getting a powered USB hub and connecting the drive to that when needed. I'm very leary of leaving a USB harddrive connected and powered fulltime... even 3.5" jobbies (too many bad experiences).

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 04:13 PM »
Yea, I'll bug my mom for an old washcloth or something if I can't get ahold of any carpet.

Powered USB hub = UPS for USB? Right now I am using EVERY USB port except ONE in the front/top (inconvenient to get to, iPod cable BARELY fits, if that gives you an idea how close this is) along with 2 open on a USB hub (ironically, the USB hub takes a USB port...). I'd rather get a normal UPS first, seeing as I'm still on the "old fashioned" power-strip-only setup.

Scannie sent me an app, revoSleep, that might help, but it has a disclaimer that if your HD dies and/or explodes and/or activates SkyNet, your the sole person responsible. Not really... comforting. (It's something, though)