topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Never again will I purchase that shampoo! (or will I?)  (Read 19587 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Never again will I purchase that shampoo! (or will I?)
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 09:00 PM »
I sawed, I harvested. But I was a fool for ever trying to be funny on another person's account. Sorry, cyberdiva!   :-[   

Hey, no apology needed.   :)

Of course one might ask why on earth I should bother if any one understand why I prefer the better program A over the cheaper program B.

But from the discussion, it wasn't at all clear that more expensive program A was also BETTER than cheaper program B.  That's why I asked the question. 

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 09:43 PM »
But from the discussion, it wasn't at all clear that more expensive program A was also BETTER than cheaper program B.  That's why I asked the question. 

Ashampoo occasionally gives away the previous version of a product free of charge. More often, though, their free offerings are "LITE" versions of their paid offerings and are thus crippled in some way or ways...

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Ashampoo occasionally gives away the previous version of a product free of charge. More often, though, their free offerings are "LITE" versions of their paid offerings and are thus crippled in some way or ways...

Well, all I know is that Burning Studio 2010 has worked VERY well for me, better than any other program I've used, including some I've paid for.  Then again, my needs may not be all that complex, so perhaps I wouldn't recognize if some features were missing.  But I've been interested to see that several other people have also had good things to say about free versions of Burning Studio.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 03:04 AM »
, it wasn't at all clear that more expensive program A was also BETTER than cheaper program B.  

-of course, you're right. But as our Darwin said, the more expensive version always has more features - you know, the features I then have to come to our forum and ask how to use...

I guess the thing with Platinum versus Standard versions is mostly a guy related thing. At least for software. One comparable situation I can think of is Young Women & Clothes / Shoes. In general, it doesn't really matter to try to talk sense into such shopping situations...

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Hate Ashampoo, company kept on sending me email spam even after I removed addresses from their list. Ended up having to make a filter to auto delete from my inbox.

Never will purchase anything from Ashampoo.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 05:03 PM »
@Cloq - I understand very well your frustrations with their normal email overload. However, if you follow the apparently secret but official procedure, you will not be spammed or even emailed at all. I know.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 01:41 PM »
@Cloq - I understand very well your frustrations with their normal email overload. However, if you follow the apparently secret but official procedure, you will not be spammed or even emailed at all. I know.
Ashampoo... if ever there was a company to be ambivalent about, it's them.

I use (bought and paid for) the current Burning Studio, mostly because it's got inbuilt support for Lightscribe "printing". Pretty much everything else I ever do, I can do with something else -- Mediamonkey for burning audio CDs from MP3s, or ImgBurn for, well, everything else.  ;)

I've tried and pretty much rejected the use of all the Ashampoo tweakers and cleaners. I've got licences for most of the older versions, mostly picked up free one way or another, Ashampoo Office isn't a patch on OpenOffice (mostly because it's got no database app but why pay money when Ooo is free AND better?) Their screencapture program's functional but FAR too busy, overcomplicated, and mouser's kicks it into the long grass anyway...

I keep reading the email because there's always the possibility they might one day do something REALLY good, but I agree: they're all right ish but (a) never EVER pay what they claim the asking price is, and look for alternatives first!
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.