topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can you throw a shoe at Bush?  (Read 13758 times)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you throw a shoe at Bush?
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:14 AM »
Yes You Can!  :D

2008-12-17_211007.jpg

Cool flash game... took me 3 tries.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can you throw a shoe at Bush?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:31 AM »
URL?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:35 AM »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:53 AM »
 :-[

Thanks for posting the link justice.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:28 AM »
wow, I must be lame, I hit him on the first try... I bet I can't do that again. Though now I have something to do while I wait until I have to leave for my finals at school
[Insert really cool signature here]

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Shoes are symbolic. Khrushchev is probably remembered more for banging his shoe at the U.N. than many other things. This is especially ironic now that Bush is turning every leaf in an attempt to be remembered as a "liberator" rather than war monger. The shoes have voted!

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 08:51 AM »
I found this rather humorous. Sending shoes to bush as a gesture and then telling him what charities will take them!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:56 AM »
wow, I must be lame, I hit him on the first try... I bet I can't do that again. Though now I have something to do while I wait until I have to leave for my finals at school

I saw the video of the actual incident last night - what impressed me the most was the accuracy of the Iraqi reporter's throw! Both attempts were right on target. Not sure of the actual distances involved, but I'm not sure I could have done that  :o

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 11:10 AM »

I saw the video of the actual incident last night - what impressed me the most was the accuracy of the Iraqi reporter's throw! Both attempts were right on target. Not sure of the actual distances involved, but I'm not sure I could have done that  :o
He's probably used to throwing rocks.

While I'm no fan of Bush and find the whole incident a bit funny, I still think it was a wrong thing to do.
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 12:48 PM »

He's probably used to throwing rocks.

While I'm no fan of Bush and find the whole incident a bit funny, I still think it was a wrong thing to do.

Absolutely - don't take my comment the wrong way - I thought it was an idiotic and tacky thing to do (but I'm still impressed by his aim  ;))!

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 04:53 PM »
Remember what the Iraqis did after toppling Saddam's statue? Shoeing is considered the ultimate insult in Arab culture, a sign of contempt.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Remember what the Iraqis did after toppling Saddam's statue? Shoeing is considered the ultimate insult in Arab culture, a sign of contempt.

It's very insulting in Asia as well. I understand the "statement" that the man was trying to make, I'm just not sure that he accomplished anything in making the statement. But then, I'm not Iraqi and can't imagine the Iraqi peoples' frustration. I do begrudge the fact that he appears to have wasted a perfectly good pair of shoes... tut, tut.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 08:53 PM »
It's very insulting in Asia as well. I understand the "statement" that the man was trying to make...

It's time to put a sock in it!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 11:26 PM »
If you would put my sock in it, it would be a weapon of mass destruction...and Bush would actually be happy with that, because then he had the proof that the whole war was legit and that he is a "liberator".  ;)

Well, he will go into history as a "liberator" anyway...how many US citizens did he "liberate" from (most of) their money anyway?  :(

Read a quite interesting piece from Dana Blankenhorn on how the "Broken window theory" from an mayor of New York (Rudy Giuliani) can be used for the Wallstreet Stock Exchange.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 05:57 AM »
[Shades]: If you would put my sock in it, it would be a weapon of mass destruction...and Bush would actually be happy with that, because then he had the proof that the whole war was legit and that he is a "liberator". Well, he will go into history as a "liberator" anyway...how many US citizens did he "liberate" from (most of) their money anyway?

Ha!  ;D  Thanks for the Dana Blankenhorn link. I was unaware he had a site, and that piece is particularly informative. Dissecting how Madoff made off with everyone's cash will be the subject of many documentaries. And yet the SEC was told on several occassions that Madoff's numbers were obviously fixed (he was reporting more profit from trades on any given day than the entire volume in the market for that same day!). His won't be the last Ponzi scheme we see, but maybe it's time to start handing out life sentences to these Wall Street crooks just to send a message that wiping out people's, endowments, charities, and others' wealth is lower than my shoe.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 06:00 AM »
PS: Don't forget that the Bush Administration was bookended by the Enron scandal and now Madoff and the mortgage insanity. Hoover couldn't top that in his dreams!

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 07:30 AM »
Dissecting how Madoff made off with everyone's cash will be the subject of many documentaries. And yet the SEC was told on several occassions that Madoff's numbers were obviously fixed (he was reporting more profit from trades on any given day than the entire volume in the market for that same day!).

Greed was the motivation behind peoples decision to invest with Mad(e)off. Warning signs were plenty for those willing to look.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 08:56 AM »
the fact that he appears to have wasted a perfectly good pair of shoes

Any news on whether he got his shoes back or not ... ?   :huh:  :D
I'll have what she's having

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006