ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it finally time to abandon IE?

<< < (5/9) > >>

Darwin:
I'm sort of happy that this happened. I've been using, and loving Maxthon for years (started using it when it was in beta years ago, version 0.7x) and have tried many times to switch to Firefox. This latest issue has forced me to use it, get to know it, and to bend it to my will. I love it! Only thing I miss are Maxthon's mouse gestures. The add-ins for Firefox are clunky.

Stoic Joker:
As Josh said, people are quick to jump all over MS, but other parties have just as many problems. Perceptions aside, FF has had as many days vulnerable to critical exploits as IE (sorry, I don't have citation handy, but I have seen the actual numbers). Flash has had problems, and I believe that Adobe Acrobat Reader has had a critical exploit sitting unpatched for months.-CWuestefeld (December 17, 2008, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite true, this is the first real IE Security Hole that has been found in a while. The other batch of nasties that have showed up as of late were specific to plug-ins that are used (to exploit) all browsers currently on the market. Flash (which sadly is Adobe these days) had its share of holes and between being way more powerful then it should be for a graphics plug-in, and being developed by a graphics company with no clue about security outside of piracy... is apt to be a PITA for some time to come.

Then there is Sun's Java with ALL the VMs memory preallocated as writable, Cripes! Who's bright Idea was that? I've hated it ever since there last fight with MS when they wanted everyone to have the "Full Benefit" of their complete package instead of the stripped down version MS was providing. The stripped down version was lighter, faster, and safer IMO. I refuse to install Java on anything these days, it's just too bloody risky.

I use IE, I like IE, I have no problem with FF ... But the last time the (Media Circus and so called) Security Mavens started chanting switch to FF it got clobbered with new exploits two months after the (Lemmings) public started to move to it.

All the (System Crippling baby-sitter) security suites in the world will not help the typical uninformed end user that will randomly click on anything that shows up on the screen just to get back to what they were doing. Reduced permissions (both simple & free) have however quickly proven effective as if the user doesn't have permission to break the machine...neither does the bug.

The only thing that will truly "Fix" the internet security issue is a change of attitude. People need to stop thing of their computers in the context of a TV or radio, and start thinking of it in the (exact) same context as their car.

Not paying attention on the Interstate highway, you die (or have a costly repair).

Not paying attention on the information highway, you die (think identity theft, etc.) or have a costly repair.

Same Same...It's not a friggin Radio... :)

Darwin:
Well, as mouser has just pointed out - the IE patch is out. Now I can start comparing Maxthon and Firefox back to back.

MrCrispy:
I wish Firefox had Protected Mode. It really makes IE on Vista so much more secure.

f0dder:
I wish Firefox had Protected Mode. It really makes IE on Vista so much more secure.-MrCrispy (December 17, 2008, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
DropMyRights?

Btw, one thing is a vulnerability "severity" rating - another is how bad it actually is. Cross-site scripting is sorta bad, and might be classified as critical... but it's nowhere near as bad as code execution, even if both are rated "critical".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version