ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Childhood Memory

<< < (4/6) > >>

yksyks:
Mine was quite easy to remember: 5501. Yes, just four digits back in sixties in some smaller cities of Czechoslovakia.

tomos:
I'm sure I can remember *not* having a phone (must ask my mum) I feel a bit ridiculous somehow when I make statements like that (I'm only 44 for gods sake)

our first number was changed twice (by the telephone company) since we got it around 1970 - once one digit changed then they added an extra two digits so I was able to work it out allright!
[not disclosing it in case I use it as top-secret password :p]

btw, here (where I now am) in rural Germany, there's phone numbers of THREE digits and maybe even less (I might just not have come across them yet) In Ireland I know all numbers have to be the same length - hence adding digits to numbers

f0dder:
I believe all numbers in Denmark are 8 digits long, except for 112 (our variant of 911... back in the old days, it was 000, I wonder why they changed it to 112). For cellphone text messages, there's some 4-digit numbers for special services, though.

iphigenie:
our number changed once, they added a 6 in front to make space for more numbers - i suspect original planners didnt expect people would have quite that many phones!

I cannot remember any of the numbers I have had as an adult, although I moved 5 times. I cannot even remember the number I had before I last moved in 2005 (although I probably have it written in an email somewhere), or the number of the house I had in London for a year until this September (although that one I *never* knew)... I think I dont remember those cause I never kept them for longer than 2-3 years and that is not enough to get engraved?

I find it fascinating how memory works - I cannot remember people's names that easily, especially in my second and third language (it is way easier in my 1st language), it takes me forever to remember phone numbers (i think it took me 5 years before I really automatically remembered my mobile/cellphone number - i just didnt have to give it out often enough for it to stick), but I can remember books I read, when i read them, where i got them from, what the story was (but not character names, on average) - same thing for games, films, good meals, holiday trips.

On the other hand say in technology I have learned and used an awful lot of things, but I always need to look up details, they just don't stick. I always say it's to make more room for the big picture ;) - at school too, i could never remember equations by heart, but i could rederive them... I could never learn the kind of list of words they made us learn, but I had perfect spelling and could use all of them...

Strange how memory works

Shades:
The change to 112?

Less pulses (for those really old "turntable" phones), it is easier to remember....and government officials need to do something to justify their salaries  ;)

It is the same in Holland, there all phone-numbers have 10 digits since a couple of years now and they move with you (if you remain in the same netarea).

My parent phone number is easy, it's the year I was born :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version