topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Can you remember your childhood phone number?

Yes
20 (83.3%)
No
1 (4.2%)
We didn't have a phone
2 (8.3%)
It hasn't changed
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Last post Author Topic: Childhood Memory  (Read 15709 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Childhood Memory
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 04:16 AM »
I don't memorize numbers very easily, never did.

In kindergarten I had to stand in the corner a lot because I couldn't remember my phone number or house number. (this was also a big issue in early days of school with basic math memorization)

My ability to remember phone numbers is dependent on the length of time in which I was exposed to them and how often I had to use them in some way.

It took me almost 10 years to memorize my father's home phone number (as an adult!), and I never did memorize my husband's last cell phone number, and still having trouble remembering his work number.

Sometimes I still have trouble remembering my current home phone number, and I have had it for almost 15 years.

The only reason why I can remember the first 3 phone numbers I had when I was a kid, is because I had them for awhile and had to call them or write them down often enough to burn it into my brain. But even with that, it still took a long time for me to memorize them.

My daughter can remember the phone number at the last place we lived, but I can't. Of course she can only remember it if she sings it, as that was how she learned it.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 01:10 PM »
I'm like you - numbers are just hard. (it gets worse across languages, too). My husband on the other hand can remember numbers real well

I had problems at school as long as most of it was memorisation based - i had trouble remembering vocabulary lists (made worse by the fact that i already knew the words, i think), math and science formulas, all these things that have no pattern or justification or them, that are arbitrary (math and science became easier once things were derived from principles, but i never could remember the constants beyond 1 or 2 digits). The same goes today for the details of programming languages/commands etc.

I on the other hand have an excellent memory for things that are not arbitrary - text of plays, music and songs, scientific derivations - and for larger picture elements. And stories (i cant tell you what the exact syntax is for something in python but i can tell you stories around python, zope, how we built what, problems we had and the time i just deleted the database and rebuilt it from the copy that was in memory)

And that is the problem with passwords, they have to be arbitrary to be secure. But arbitrary (for me) means forgotten unless there is a pattern of derivation that I can remember. A song, a rhyme, a proverb, a book title...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:12 PM by iphigenie »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Once I got a cell phone I stopped remembering any phone numbers. Sometimes I even forgot my own phone number. It sure is handy having an address book with you wherever you go. :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 10:16 PM »
You would be amazed how much of those "turntables" are still in active use. The mechanics behind it is a sure masterpiece, because I know for a fact that my father still uses the same phone he bought over 30 years ago and it still works without any glitch.

Furthermore, I worked on military bases and also there you can still find a lot of those phones.  

Writing this text made me realize there is another very good reason why the switch was made: International calls.
Don't know what it is in Denmark but you have to dial 00(country access code)-(netarea without the preceding 0)-(phone number)-(extension) in Holland.

It is too easy to call internationally unintentionally. Furthermore, it takes too long for an international rescue team to save your behind from whatever peril it is facing (generally speaking of course).

Personally, it is easier for me to remember a multi-digit number that has broken sequences (555555 or 55655), also when verbally communicating a number the latter number from my example is easier. The speaking is not so much the problem, the other person that has to 'hear' the numbers (especially in a hurry/panicked/whatever) and dialing the number correctly in the first try is.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 02:34 AM »
True, international calls are prefixed with 0 (or 00? I forget). But imho you wouldn't realistically end up calling international for 000 :)
- carpe noctem