ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

make family tree in Visio - manually or automated via db?

<< < (2/4) > >>

tomos:
@4wd, do you know how does Personal Ancestral File do with regard to printing out a tree?

4wd:
@4wd, do you know how does Personal Ancestral File do with regard to printing out a tree?
-tomos (January 08, 2009, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Attached are samples of the main types and they each have their own options to change how they look.  The easiest way would be to just download the software and grab the sample GEDCOM files at the Simple Family Tree site, import them and then have a play.

Pedigree chart

Family Group Record

Ancestors

Book (in Ahnentafelw format)

Individual Summary

Ancestor Chart (including photo, set at 7 generations per page and going back 4, if you have more than will fit on one page it will print them so you can just tape them together in a big wall chart)

Pedigree (including photo this time)

I also forgot, PAF can export to HTML effectively creating a complete website of your genealogy.

If it's all about how good an output looks though, then Family Tree Maker is probably better suited for presentation - however, it's not free.

tomos:
thanks a lot for that in depth answer 4wd :Thmbsup:

my brother transferred a huge amount of family info + images to word and powerpoint, this looks more suitable - as it's free it means it would be easier to pass *all* the info on to other relatives who might want to continue research themselves

tomos:
Attached are samples of the main types and they each have their own options to change how they look.  The easiest way would be to just download the software and grab the sample GEDCOM files at the Simple Family Tree site, import them and then have a play.
-4wd (January 09, 2009, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

@4wd
- do you mean I can use the files from "Simple Family Tree" programme in the "Personal Ancestral File" programme ??
- sounds versatile!
(just double checking as I passing on the info, thanks!!)

4wd:
-4wd (January 09, 2009, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

@4wd
- do you mean I can use the files from "Simple Family Tree" programme in the "Personal Ancestral File" programme ??
- sounds versatile!
(just double checking as I passing on the info, thanks!!)
-tomos (January 10, 2009, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Simple Family Tree and virtually all other family tree programs have the ability to either directly read, (as in SFT's case), or import/export the data as GEDCOM files.

GEDCOM files are nothing more than a text file with various fields for the data and was specifically designed, (by the creators of PAF), as a means of genealogical data interchange.

In PAF just go File->Import, it'll prompt you to create a new PAF database, give it a name and enter some basic info, (preparer's name, etc, etc), then select the xxxxx.GED file.

It'll start importing individuals and present you either with it's standard view or a log of any errors encountered, (which it will for "The Kings of Europe.ged" file off the SFT site but it will still display the basic tree).

From there you can edit entries, print reports, etc to get a feel for it - it's a pretty easy program to get around in without having to resort to the docs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version