topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DONE: Windows sticky note program  (Read 9187 times)

anathema

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DONE: Windows sticky note program
« on: November 25, 2005, 07:16 PM »
I know there are a lot of those programs out there but none of them do exactly what I want.  All I want is a program like that which is small, and doesn't have a systray icon at all and can be called upon from a right-click menu option or a hot key(e.g. crtl+alt+n).  Is such a thing at all possible?  And, if so, would any of you programmers in this forum like to take on this task?  I would be happy to make a donation to anyone who could accomplish this for me.  Thanks in advance.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows sticky note program
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 07:21 PM »
we've discussed some of these tools before, and i know there are some reasonable ones that are free.
as for not appearing in the tray, may i suggest:
1) learn to love icons in the tray like me
2) OR get yourself a tool that can let you hide any icons in the tray that you want, which can be ideal if you are suffering from tray overload (http://www.pssoftlab.com/ is a shareware one).

anathema

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 07:39 PM »
I know about and I do have a program which hides systray icons(SystrayX) but I love doing as much as I possibly can from the right-click menu and also, if the program is in the systray, that means that it is running and is taking up system resources.  The programs I like best are programs that are quiet and inconspicuous until called upon.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 04:03 AM »
Note-It by Veign (another member here) would probably meet your needs and doesn't use a tray icon.

You can add any filetype based operation to the standard Explorer Context Menu.

It is explained here so if you want to use a program like Note-It you can simply set up a context menu entry to edit .not files and a hotkey (in the programs shortcut in the Programs menu) to create new post-its. In fact it already has a "Show Note" context menu or you can simply click on Note files to open them.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 04:13 AM by CarolHaynes »

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 12:43 PM »
Note's can also be placed into an 'icon mode' by double clicking the note's icon.  Another way to reduce its footprint

I would go with Carol's suggestions on setting up a context menu or hot key. 

The reason I would not want to include system-wide hotkey support in Note-It is because it means Note-It needs to be running to process the request.  This falls under the same reason why I don't include a system tray icon: I don't like applications running, using resources, that I am not currently using.

Like always: I love feedback by users and alot of future features are coming from users so let me know what you want.  The next version will include: a spellchecker, hyperlink recognition and support, alot of keyboard shortcuts, and a special Insert menu option.  I may also be playing around with 'Menu Limitors' (have to wait and see).

anathema

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 02:47 PM »
I'll give it a try.  Thanks!