ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Withdrawn (sorry): Iphi's Memorable Passwords

<< < (3/4) > >>

iphigenie:
For me, that would be the biggest question and is why I use RoboForm. Personally, I don't want to remember any passwords, but if there could only be one result from a given group of words (with my generation rule) and the phrase is easy enough to remember, then I think I could work with that.
-Perry Mowbray (December 16, 2008, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're right, the pattern is a key one - if i can come up with a set of patterns that are easy to remember/retrieve, yet are safe (let the user choose as configuration, i guess) then this will work better.

Perry Mowbray:
i for example still remember that 258512 was my phone number when i was a kid.
-iphigenie (December 16, 2008, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

So can I!  :-\ :-\

OK, lets see how common that is: How many others can?

Dormouse:
i for example still remember that 258512 was my phone number when i was a kid.
-iphigenie (December 16, 2008, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

So can I!  :-\ :-\

OK, lets see how common that is
-Perry Mowbray (December 16, 2008, 06:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, I had a different number

iphigenie:
maybe this app idea will be reinvented as the memory trainer  :P

app103:
As far as copyright issues are concerned, you wouldn't be distributing the lyrics with your application, nor would you be hosting the lyrics yourself on your own server (unless you want to go double purpose on this project and start your own lyrics site, too).

You would tap into already existing lyrics databases, just like media player plugins do. (I would also include multiple sites to search, just in case one of them dies or becomes unavailable for some reason.)

The bonus in this is that foreign words, as well as English, would be covered in many existing databases outside of the US, due to foreign song lyrics being listed (music is universal).

What a great idea: and you're right, I use RoboForm but the main entry point would be easy to break.

I need a little clarification though: after selecting the Title/Lyric/etc is there only one possible password returnable? That is, do you set up a generation rule, like:

* Pattern: aANSNNAA
* Min Characters: 6
* Max Characters: 8
* Repeat: True
and your selected phrase, etc is passed through that rule to create a password??
-Perry Mowbray (December 16, 2008, 04:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here is a visual that might help illustrate what I meant:

(colors do not represent real password strength quality, except in the cases of obvious bad passwords in red)

You just give the user a list and let them choose which they would like. Storage of the choice selected wouldn't even have to be included if you don't want to do that.

This could be a very simple application that just parses the results from a lyric site's database and inserts the additional characters at the end of each line. If the user decides they want to store it somewhere, that could be left up to them and what application they use would be their own choice. Then they could store the phrase and not the actual password in it, in the notes section of it, like this:

The user could even fill in the password box in the application with bogus info, as long as they are not using the application to automatically fill in passwords on sites (shouldn't be doing this any way, for security reasons).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version