ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (32/67) > >>

superboyac:
According to Anandtech, the Logitech MX 1100 is the update to the two-year old MX Revolution.  So, I will be getting that mouse. However, it doesn't come in a nice keyboard/mouse combo package, so I'll have to get the keyboard separately.  That's ok.

About the MX 1100 (mouser will be happy), there is no charging cradle and it uses AA batteries.  That's actually easier for me because I always have some AA batteries charged up and ready to go.

Now I have to find a nice wireless keyboard.  The only annoying thing about this not being a package is that I will now have two USB receivers instead of one.

[Click here to return to first post and see updated system components & price]

Carol Haynes:
Can't you find compatible Logitech devices thaqt can share the USB receivers?

FWIW next time I buy a keyboard it is going to be a PS/2 type. I am really fed up with USB keyboards not being able to interact with boot time utilities in Windows (eg. if I set a CHKDSK to run at boot time and want to change my mind so I can get on I either have to find a PS/2 keyboard or let CHKDSK run it's course - a right pain!).

I hate USB keyboards for that reason (or should it be I hate Windows for that reason). You'd think MS would have the sense to initialise USB keyboards and mice before boot time apps run!!!

Why do you hate inkjets so much? I really like my Canon PIXMA MX850 brilliant printing (and a great scanner and fax) and not particularly expensive on consumables. I know inkjets are more expensive to run than B&W laser printers but you can't fault the quality of output these days (at lease not from Canon printers).

superboyac:
Can't you find compatible Logitech devices thaqt can share the USB receivers?
-Carol Haynes (December 27, 2008, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
I didn't know you could do that if you buy them separately.  I'll look.  But I really want the MX 1100, so I'm not going to compromise that.

I hate USB keyboards for that reason (or should it be I hate Windows for that reason). You'd think MS would have the sense to initialise USB keyboards and mice before boot time apps run!!!
--- End quote ---
You know, that's a good point.  But I have a wireless keyboard (logitech) at work and it works fine for Bios and boot stuff.  I'll make sure to get one that works.

Why do you hate inkjets so much? I really like my Canon PIXMA MX850 brilliant printing (and a great scanner and fax) and not particularly expensive on consumables. I know inkjets are more expensive to run than B&W laser printers but you can't fault the quality of output these days (at lease not from Canon printers).
--- End quote ---
My printing needs are probably different than yours.  I don't really ever print in color.  I hate how slow they are (even the fast ones).  And their ink lasts for so little compared to lasers.  It's just annoying.  I love laser printers.  But I still print so seldom that I don't think I need one.  This will probably be a decision very late in the game.

Carol Haynes:
You know, that's a good point.  But I have a wireless keyboard (logitech) at work and it works fine for Bios and boot stuff.  I'll make sure to get one that works.
-superboyac (December 27, 2008, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

USB keyboards work fine for BIOS and stuff like that - it is boot time utilities in Windows that get crippled.

With your USB keyboard try this experiment:

In windows open My Computer, right click on your windows drive, properties, tools, Check Now... and check the two options. Now click OK and because Windows is in use it will offer to scehdule a check at next system start. Click OK and then restart your system.

During Windows boot there will be an interruption with a blue screen and it will tell you a Disk Check has been scheduled, press Escape to cancle it. Try pressing Escape ...

If it is like any of the USB keyboards I have used it won't work and you will have to wait until the Disk Check complete.

This is a trivial example - there are other utilities that perform Windows boot time functions (eg. PerfectDisk boot time defrag) which gives the option to abort.

There are some utilities that actually wait for a keyboard choice to be made - these are unusable with a USB keyboard and you get locked in a loop because you can't stop the boot time option from starting and can't respond to prompts - the only solution is to find a PS/2 keyboard and reset the machine.

superboyac:
Sounds like an interesting topic for another thread.  I guess it's important to have a ps2 keyboard around for emergencies.  What a pain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version