ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (51/67) > >>

superboyac:
It is for hot-swapping.
Now that I think about it, I probably got the wrong type of enclosure.  I probably should have bought this:
http://www.granitedigital.com/aluminum35casekitenclosure.aspx

Oh well.  Doh!

superboyac:
What's the difference between an external enclosure with esata or sata?  Both cables are shielded.  I thought all external enclosures would use esata since that's what the "e" is for.  And where do you plug a sata cable to on your chassis if it's coming from an enclosure?  Like, on my Cosmos case, I have an esata connector on it, but the sata connectors or on the mobo.

40hz:
AFAIK there is very little difference between eSATA and SATA300 (same bandwidth and transfer speed of 3000Mbit/300Mbit for both). The only significant difference I am aware of is that eSATA allows for a 2-meter cable, whereas SATA only allows a 1-meter connecting cable.

If I understand what you're asking, the external eSATA drive can be plugged into any SATA connector on your mobo backpanel.

Note: some older mobos will only boot off an external drive if it is plugged into specific SATA connectors (usually #1 and/or #2) so check your docs to see if you need to do that. On a mobo as new as yours, it shouldn't be necessary.

superboyac:
AFAIK there is very little difference between eSATA and SATA300 (same bandwidth and transfer speed of 3000Mbit/300Mbit for both). The only significant difference I am aware of is that eSATA allows for a 2-meter cable, whereas SATA only allows a 1-meter connecting cable.

If I understand what you're asking, the external eSATA drive can be plugged into any SATA connector on your mobo backpanel.

Note: some older mobos will only boot off an external drive if it is plugged into specific SATA connectors (usually #1 and/or #2) so check your docs to see if you need to do that. On a mobo as new as yours, it shouldn't be necessary.
-40hz (January 16, 2009, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
ACtually, what I'm asking is this:  Why does Granite Digital make a portable external SATA enclosure with a SATA cable?  Wouldn't it make more sense to use an eSATA cable?  Then there's the unit that I bought, which is an external enclosure for SATA drives, but with hot-swap trays, and this uses an eSata connector.  I don't see the reasoning behind the two, unless it's just random.

(edit)
Just got a call from Granite Digital (great customer service by the way).  The external enclosure I linked to above is the older model, which was made before esata came out.  Now that esata is out, the enclosure I got is basically the newer model, along with the hot-swap.  So, I'm happy to stay with my enclosure.  Also, even though there's no locking mechanism, i tried sliding the tray in with the drive and once it's in place, it's pretty sturdy, even if you hold it upside down and shake it a little, the drive won't come out.  So forget what I said before.  Besides, I don't plan on treating my drive like that.

superboyac:
OK!  Well, all the parts are installed in the case.  Tomorrow, I'll probably power everything up and try it for the first time.  Ugh, what a pain this is.  I freaked out a little when putting the cpu fan on because the click sounds when the fan is in place were not as I expected.  I hope there are no hardware defects/damages/etc.  Still haven't opened the monitor boxes yet, either.  So tomorrow!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version